Gild, by Raven Kennedy

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

user103727514182's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

elle_wolfe's review

Gild is an adult fantasy reimagining of the myth of King Midas, the King who could turn anything into gold with his touch. We follow Auren, who at the age of fifteen had been a homeless victim of child trafficking until she was found by Midas and he saved her, professing his love by turning her skin to gold. Over 10 years, as he became King and gathered power, she has lived as his willing prisoner, kept in a golden cage for her own safety, entirely submissive to him as her saviour. She is his gold-touched, his most precious one.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book, but overall I enjoyed it. I read this in a single sitting and became invested quite quickly. This all despite some questionable content, but I didn’t go into this expecting it to be a literary masterpiece.

Kennedy’s world building in particular stood out to me as very good, and there is a nice blend of political intrigue and fantasy, albeit less than I would have liked until the last few pages, but I understand that this is just the beginning. Her characterisation of Auren is interesting too, I found I changed my mind a lot on whether or not I like her. At times she is a little bland, at other times a little annoying, and at other times I just felt bad for her. She is a victim of Stockholm Syndrome however, so I am interested enough to see where she goes as a character, and I hope that her journey includes more Rissa because I can already tell I am going to love her.

There are a few plot inconsistencies and events that were just a touch too convenient, but as I say, I’m not expecting a work of art here. All I ask is that she doesn’t end up with Midas in the end. Are we supposed to root for this guy? Because I hate him. I am hoping that Auren comes to realise this too, and we get a good, predictable morally grey romance arc during the time she spends in the Fourth Kingdom.

valia's review

I was really underwhelmed by this.
SpoilerI really thought the orgy on page one was going to set the tone for the rest of the book but I'm still waiting for THE KISS.

abutterworth24's review

I have so many questions which is why I have already ordered the second book. I heard about this book from TikTok and I didn’t really know what to expect, I was warned it was dark and that I should check trigger warnings and I can see why. It’s not exactly for the faint hearted. The story however I think was amazing, I didn’t hate the main character and she didn’t seem overly infatuated with the king which I was used to seeing in situations like this. Don’t get me wrong their relationship is super unhealthy, but I am really excited to see how the next book develops and I hope it answers all my questions.

roseroosa's review

adventurous emotional funny tense slow-paced

jessannderson's review

dark emotional hopeful sad slow-paced

oceanw1's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

stephlenz's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

lilymoira's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious medium-paced