White Nights, by Ann Cleeves

ljkinkad's review

mysterious medium-paced

baffi's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

khoar's review against another edition

I love the Shetland BBC TV series and the books that that the show is based upon are even better.  This particular story has not become part of the TV series, so I found it very refreshing.

Jimmy Perez is attending an art exhibition for his "girlfriend", Fran Hunter, when he is approached by a very distressed man who claimed not to know who he is.  The next day, the man is found dead.  At first, it is assumed that he has committed suicide, but it is soon discovered that the mystery man has been murdered .....

Another great mystery by Ann Cleeves.

colls's review against another edition

The narrator does a good job (although I have no idea if the accent is authentic or not). I enjoy the characters and the mysteries are well done.

acrossley's review

mysterious relaxing medium-paced

bookloversboudoir's review against another edition

I've read a couple of the Shetland books and love the Vera books so knew I was going to enjoy this. It's a short read at just over 320 pages but seems much longer. As usual, I love the setting and Jimmy is great. This has everything I expect from these books.

sarahs_readingparty's review against another edition

The second Shetland Island mystery was good, but I think I preferred Raven Black. This one is sad, dark, and just not quite as engaging as the first--maybe because some of the mystery takes the characters off the island? Not sure. I still am invested in this series but the moodiness of White Nights and the depressing ending were a little much for me.

goldfishtish's review against another edition

Absorbing, but perhaps more because of the Shetlands and the solidly drawn characters than the murder. The murder plot itself was good, but the way it wrapped up (by which I mean the way the revelations unfolded rather than the revelations themselves) was somehow a little underwhelming. Overall enjoyable and I intend to read more in the series.

belovedsnail's review against another edition

mysterious medium-paced

I really enjoyed this book despite feeling as though Cleeves paid zero attention to the characters this time. The emotional affect was sketchily drawn and the connections a bit tired. However, her sense of place is strong enough to carry the book.

bethnellvaccaro's review against another edition

I enjoyed this installment just as much as the first. The setting is the star of this series.