Fallen by Lauren Kate

bookswithbit's review

Concept - fantastic
Early execution - not the best
Mid-late book - fantastic

Am I back in my teenage fallen angel lore obsession era?

lamom77's review against another edition

Good book, I liked the way the author used hints along the way for the main character and the reader to try and figure the story out. I was still somewhat in the dark at the end, but that was the point, now to start Book 2.

jane_kelsey's review

full of clishees and old used tropes but it kept me reading so....

sdb27's review

Not enough action in the first seven chapters to keep me invested or even interested in the story. Oh, well--DNF it is. No point in forcing myself to read it.

Probably won't give this one a full-length review because I didn't even make it halfway. However, what I will say is that the plot is really slow and the love interest (triangle? Have I gotten enough details for it to be considered a triangle?) is cliched. Also, I'm getting a whole Edward-Bella vibe from the main girl Luce and the aloof and cold Daniel. No thanks.

_beckyzhong_'s review

Personally, I felt like this was a "the-cover-of-this-book-looks-awesome-but-the-characters-were-pretty-sucky" book. I understand how Lucinda (girl protagonist) and Daniel (guy protagonist) are supposed to feel conflicted yet nostalgic towards each other, but it's hard for me to feel the spark between them. The book started off immediately by informing the readers about how it's going to end. I know this might sound rather harsh, but it's the truth. The characters just aren't as interesting as I'd had hope they'd be. Definitely not my favorite book and if you're planning on reading this now, I'd recommend for you to ditch it.

vickyramirezy's review against another edition

My favourite bit was when the guy pulled a guitar pick perfectly matched to the colour of his eyes with the number of his room printed (not written) on it and gave it to our MC as a calling card. Who even thinks of that? I don't even know if he plays the guitar, they never mention it again.

It wasn't so bad up until the kiss, after that, I didn't care for it at all. Literally, any two characters have more chemistry than the leads. I actually kinda wanted Pen and Cam to get together. Alas, poor Pennyweather did not deserve what she got, 0/5 bc of that.

missbookiverse's review against another edition

I pushed myself through 50% of the audiobook but that's it now. I did not expect much of this novel because there are tons of bad reviews out there and I must admit: they're all true! Okay, so the writing itself isn't horrible but it's not glorious either, or interesting. A lot of times this story felt like my 12 year old self had written it. I've never been to an American reform school, so I have no idea what it is really like but the way it is described just sounded made up. I mean, seriously, you have to wear a swimsuit the school provides for you? A swimsuit a bunch of girls have worn before you? That's just ridiculous. So is a 15 pages paper about your family tree, especially when you're at boarding school and only have the school library and the internet as research tools (you only get one phone call a week so you can't just call up your grand parents and ask them for family tree documents or something).

But those are just the ridiculous details. The plot is dull and moves too slowly. I read listened to more than 200 pages but there was still no revelation about angels or Luce's past. I read about the rest of the plot on the internet, yes the ending did sound kind of a little exciting but not paired with these characters. Neither Luce nor her love interests were the least bit thrilling or even sympathetic. I just didn't care for them so I decided to put a stop to this.

It's a shame because I really wanted to buy the sequel with its beautiful cover.

lady_army99's review

dark emotional inspiring mysterious medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

girlofgotham's review

dark emotional fast-paced

ncurtain's review

Read this book again as I didn't remember it. It it too long to get to the point. Too angsty.