Anna K: Away, by Jenny Lee

stephaniemleep's review against another edition

emotional

paperbackdietitian's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

emsplanations's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

ktripp's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

mbellsamantha's review against another edition

This gets 2 stars instead of 1 because while the writing is poor, I do truly think I could still enjoy the CW teen show style of story anyway, I'm just not personally in that headspace right now.

ablondebooknerd's review against another edition

After the tragic ending of Anna K, Jenny Lee brings us back to Anna K and her grieving family and friends. I absolutely loved the modern retelling of Anna Karenina in Anna K and was so curious to see where Jenny Lee would take her characters since there isn’t any source material for her to adapt from any longer. I think she did a fantastic job and that each character’s actions and growth felt true for their character.

The second half of Anna K Away slowly brings back the delicious rich kids behaving badly material that makes us obsessed with books like Gossip Girl and Crazy Rich Asians. Like Steven K planning the extravagant Summertime Funtime party. Or Beatrice flying her and her new beau to Sayulita to go surfing on a whim.

I also really liked that Anna K Away takes place mostly outside of NYC. Anna K’s storyline in Seoul with a K-pop band was so fun to read!

All in all, this was a great summer escapism read!

stacyyak's review against another edition

- Contains Spoilers -

I was very excited - but also surprised - when I heard that there was going to be an Anna K. sequel! To be honest, I was a little hesitant and unsure what the story would look like after the ending of the first book, but I think Jenny Lee's continuation with the story was very justified and well orchestrated.

At a surface level I think the book was well written and there's no denying that Lee has a way with words. I am in awe how well she crafted an originally Russian narrative into a complex, but still relatable Gen-Z story. However, I'm not sure how to quite explain this but rather than this feeling like a whole book or novel to me, it felt more like a novella or companion piece. The only segments of the story that I felt myself gravitating towards or wanting to keep reading was Anna's storyline in Korea.

The first book kept me engaged with the other characters on an equivalent level to the main plot, but this time I didn't quite find that as the case. I enjoyed Anna's clear growth and dealing with the aftermath that comes from losing someone you love too soon, but aside from that I wasn't too active in my reading of the rest of the book. However, I will note that Bea's personal growth following the death of her cousin was also one of the highlights of the book for me. Also I felt that the last section of the book - Steven's Summertime Funtime party and all the events that occur in that space - was very rushed and sudden. Especially the issue with the shooting, etc.

heybbrae's review against another edition

rachael_perry's review against another edition

emotional reflective fast-paced

At first, I was confused that there was a sequel, then I was excited, and now I’m not sure how I feel. There are a lot of characters and a lot of events in this book. I got a little bit of whiplash going back and forth between them. I would find myself wanting more time with many scenes and less time with others. It seems like maybe this book needed more space for breathing.

emmapicaro4's review against another edition