I Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron

e_j_cook's review against another edition

funny lighthearted reflective medium-paced

jenmat1197's review against another edition

funny inspiring

This is Nora's own story.  She uses humor to talk about purses, cooking, books, and of course - her neck.  In her 60s at the time of her writing this book, she talks about what it is like to be an older woman.

I read this book for a challenge and it was so fun.  Ephron was quirky and funny and I enjoyed this novella very much.  She discussed her time in New York, her three marriages, and raising kids in the city.   I am glad I read it.

lucy_junor's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny informative reflective relaxing fast-paced

mattypallett's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad fast-paced
  • I had no idea Heartburn was based so heavily on Nora Ephron’s actual life, no wonder it felt so true and authentic!
  • Imagine my disappointment when she mentioned what one of her favourite, more enrapturing books was, and it was a book I’d already read and *hated*, so upsetting, just when I though Nora and I had so much in common…
  • Saying that, reading this felt like a catch-up with a messy and brilliant friend, I could easily read hundreds more pages of her experiences.
  • The final essay about death and getting older was such a vulnerable and heartbreaking experience. I feel like I could learn a lot from her.

dallasrobyn's review against another edition

To be fair, I think I'm probably 20 years too young to really "feel" this book. There was very little I could relate to.

Another reader said: "She describes all the "maintenance" older women do to keep up their appearances at great length and talks about these things as if they are mandatory, when in fact, they are not. She is not a person that a poor, blue-collar woman like me who shops at Target can well relate to."

...and I agree 100%. I've never had a manicure, or waxed my legs (or any other body part for that matter). I wear very little makeup, and don't even wash my face at night. I just don't care. (That might change in the next 10-20 years, but I really hope to not be as vain as this book makes women seem.) So much of this book felt like white, rich, old lady issues that have nothing to do with me. I was hoping for some feminist issues, but (as another reader pointed out) it "really only talks about a sliver of privileged society."

I did enjoy her chapter on cooking and the chapter on reading.

xoxogossiplaur's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

blossom's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

cai_rw's review against another edition

'...the state of rapture I experience when I read a wonderful book is one of the main reasons I read, but it doesn't happen every time or even every other time, and when it does happen, I'm truly beside myself.'
I've known who Nora Ephron was for a few years: she's the writer of When Harry Met Sally, she was an incredible journalist etc etc. I've appreciated her from afar, but never really delved into her work. Less then a year ago I watched said film for the first time, along with You've Got Mail, and I fell in love with her witty women, and her simple yet profound stories. Cut to now, where I've now finished my first foray into her essays (in just two sittings, may I add).
As Ephron explains in the quote above, special works of writing that speak to your very being are few and far between. Sure there are favourites and classics, but to come across a novel that is simultaneously comfort food and a wake-up call are rare. I'm thankful that I bought this on a whim because of a "Buy One Get One Half Price" in Waterstones. I'm thankful that I had to spend 2 hours in A&E, forcing me to grab the first book I saw on my shelf in a mad rush, and I'm thankful that my GP's waiting room was so full this morning, giving me ample time to feed off of Nora's wisdom.
Reading this book is like talking to the woman herself. Her tone, her anecdotes, her nuggets of advice feel like you're sitting down with a friend that you haven't seen in years.
At this point in my life; having finished my English Lit degree, entering a Creative Writing masters, I'm not certain about my future career. But Ephron's words have not only fuelled my fire to be a writer, but her style has reassured me that writing, at its essence, is simple. All you need is a narrative (real or fiction), and speak from the heart. Don't complicate things for the sake of it, don't patronise, and for the love of God, love what you are doing.
Thank you, Nora.

kburnham's review against another edition

fast-paced

lprnana6572's review against another edition

Fast read. Very relatable.