The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

rockhopper's review

mysterious fast-paced

debitoni's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

dunnadam's review against another edition

I found this book too hard-boiled, the unlikable gruff gum shoe sitting in his 1930's office. Cliché.
The book is a series of interviews with suspects, no one is interviewed twice, no one is likable and all of the people have names I can't pronounce, let alone remember.
The only likable character is Robin, the secretary, but she does come off very one-dimensional, her name could have been Girl Friday.
I listened to this book over a 2 day period, mostly to get it over with, and I had a hard time following anything, mostly as I didn't care.
Disappointing.

recovering_my_sparkle's review against another edition

Not my favourite book, although I got more invested as time went on. I found it quite hard to get into and it seemed to drag a lot. That being said, I was on totally the wrong lines with who the killer was which added a nice twist to the ending for me!

trin's review against another edition

I read this in July 2013. It might have eked out three stars then, if I were feeling charitable. I am no longer feeling charitable! Fuck off, JK Rowling. And stop describing your main character's hair as "pube-like" unless you want that to be the only thing your readers remember (other than the fact that you are a transphobe).

annasunadventures's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

veraann's review against another edition

A decent PI down on his luck book. Character development was great and kept me guessing whodunit to the end. The negatives is I felt it was slow paced, sometimes overly descriptive to the point i was skimming pages, and sometimes I felt that detracted from the mystery too much. Overall an okay read was worth checking out.

maryplu's review against another edition

I wish someone had recommended it before I found out JK wrote it. Not good, not bad. Just enjoyable while reading it. I already forgot most of the plot...

wynn's review against another edition

Recensione/Commento:

wynterpop29's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced