The Henna Wars, by Adiba Jaigirdar

8amtrain's review against another edition

this book is going to open up entire futures for baby lesbians of color TT____TT another world is possible and we're living in it!

noaplotsalong's review against another edition

This book is an absolute blast! Nishat is absolutely the cut throat MC that's missing in YA books. She's willing to do almost anything to win the competition between her and the competing henna stall run by Flavia and Chyna, and she's willing to stand up for herself despite the circumstances she's thrown into. There isn't anything surprising in this book, but then again, the book is good enough even without the element of surprise. Nishat, Flavia and Priti are all interesting, and the relationship between Priti and Nishat is one of the most accurate sibling representations I've seen in a while. I enjoyed reading this book in one sitting (with a pancake break) and you probably will too.

earnshawheights's review

inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

smoochinggirls's review against another edition

emotional fast-paced

This is Probably one of my favourite books of all time. I really enjoyed it especially as a lesbian who grew up in a Muslim household seeing Nishat and Flávia relationship develop was such a wonderful experience

bellisdoesbooks's review against another edition

lighthearted reflective slow-paced

lucygoosey522's review

emotional hopeful medium-paced

it was cute but i’m a little disappointed. i went into it w high expectations, but the writing just wasn’t great. lots of cultural references which r just too specific to their certain time, that r already outdated just a year later. character development seemed to all be crammed into the last little bit of the book. the main character also was kind of annoying at times.
other than that, it was cute and some nice rep:) would recommend if ur looking for an easy read

crystalx620's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

rachel_05's review

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

OMFG THIS IS MY NEW FAVOURITE BOOK. Nishat and Flávia’s relationship is the cutest thing ever and i love quite literally everything about this book.

cameronreads's review against another edition

hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

I cannot emphasise how important this book and books like it are, and I would genuinely urge everyone to read at least one of Adiba Jaigirdar's works. They provide valuable representation (that I cannot personally give an own voices review on, but I've heard from other OV reviews that the rep is spot on, and they are OV works), but The Henna Wars is also so informative for non-OV readers, about intersectionality, South Asian culture, cultural appropriation, coming out, and more. The characters and things they go through are so realistic, they feel like real teenagers making real mistakes (and learning from them!) and developing real relationships. The relationship between Nishat and Priti was a joy to read about especially, even if it wasn't the focal relationship of the book. There was also great character development, both for the main character Nishat and her love interest Flávia.
Personally this didn't get a five stars from me simply because contemporary isn't necessarily for me, which is obviously not the fault of the book but just meant it wasn't the most enjoyable read. I also found the writing a little simplistic, which again, is just my personal preference.

booked_and_busy's review

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced