Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas

qwelling4's review against another edition

emotional hopeful medium-paced

rachlloyd's review

There’s a reason why we have National Derek Craven Day.

chelsea_jh's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful tense medium-paced

annyuwang's review

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

Derek Craven is the ultimate alpha hero. Sara is likeable, smart, writer blue stocking heroine. Has humor, angst and is perfect.

alayna017's review

I loved this book! I mean, why haven’t I read this one yet? I’ve been hearing about Derek Craven from Fated Mates podcast for years, so I decided to pick it up after Derek Craven Day (2/4-as observed by the podcasters).

I loved Derek, he fell for Sara so fast that he doesn’t even realize it. I loved that she’s the one who saved him first, from the guys in the street and from the lonely world he was building around himself.

I loved Sara, who was always more than just her country village. She was ambitious and smart and loved writing. She was shy but never so timid to not stand up for herself. I loved her attitude about being ruined and her self sufficiency in her own life.

Great book, it’s going on my reread list!

limeykiss's review against another edition

Well-written, but there were some consent issues in many of the sex scenes. Derek plowed ahead when Sarah was audibly saying no, and even though Kleypas wrote it so that it was clear Sarah was enjoying herself, I wanted Derek to respect her wishes and take a step back from the sexytimes until he had a resounding, clear, YES. Consent is sexy, even in the regency era. Points for actually using the word 'fuck'- I have such a soft spot for historicals that don't shy away from four-letter words. Aristocrats curse, too!

lornafj's review

I am absolutely in love with a “I wasn’t born to this but you’re damn sure going to respect me for what I’ve made” MMC, and boy did Derek deliver! His relationship with Sara, overcoming trauma, and oh my god the ending was just 😭😭😭

I could have done without some details in the epilogue (no shame, just not my kink..) and honestly the “villain” just made me want to punch her in the face but all in all, this was a great ending to this series!

deevarr's review

challenging fast-paced

I enjoyed this story but it annoyed me towards the end. It makes no sense to me how a lunatic could destroy so many lives and there is zero accountability….. can’t help but wonder what happened to all of the people who are out of a job

webbsusa's review

This is an older romance (first published in 1995), and it reminds me of why I didn’t read romance at that time. The villain of this story is the stereotypical woman driven insane by jealousy, and of course she’s a whore as well—in contrast to our innocent, virgin heroine. I couldn’t stand this trope in 1995, and I sure don’t like it any better in 2021. And don’t get me started on the hero sleeping with another woman because she looks like the heroine.

Kleypas can write; her books are always beautifully detailed, with heartfelt dialogue and good pacing. But I have often struggled to connect with her work, and this book is an extreme case of that tendency.