In the Event of Love by Courtney Kae

eva_hamilton's review against another edition

It’s lesbian hallmark. What’s not to love?

raccoonpunk's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful medium-paced

I don’t like 1st person books so you could say I’m biased. I really did like the book to start with tho, it was the ending that threw me off. I can’t say much without spoilers but I’d still recommend it. I will say the “and then everyone clapped” 4 times in between 2 pages was cringe but that could be ptsd from Tumblr posts. Otherwise still a nice little read.

stay9377's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

g_occasionally_reads's review against another edition

So cute, so swoony. Morgan and Rachel's second-chance at love romance made me forget that the reasons that led Morgan to leave the first time (and tbh the second time as well) were quite shallow.

May I interest you in:

allisonplus's review against another edition

emotional funny fast-paced

megsreading's review against another edition

3.5/4

In The Event of Love by Courtney Kae was the sapphic Hallmark holiday story I needed! (But seriously, Hallmark we NEED more queer holiday movies. Get on it stat.)

This book was too cute and as someone who watches Hallmark holiday movies obsessively every year, it was absolutely made for me. I loved this book - the characters (especially Rachel & their chosen family), the plot, the tropes, the spice! and so much more. It's giving queer love, it's giving second chances, it's giving friends to lovers, it's giving city girl returns home during the holidays and reunites with her best friend turned first love who is now a sexy lumberjane.

mpatrick5538's review against another edition

4⭐️ This was a good read! Loved the small town, friends to lovers, second chance, holiday romance. I liked the queer representation in this a lot because not only were the main characters queer but there was also many side characters that were also queer. It all felt very natural and they all were well rounded characters. Genuinely had a great time. Only thing I didn’t like was a I felt like Morgan was a little cringy at points, the miscommunication troupe plays a huge part in all of Morgan’s relationships, and the third act break up. But definitely would read again :) very excited for the second book in the series and hoping for a third as well.

jclani's review against another edition

slow-paced

greatcometofjess's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

k_lenn's review against another edition

Fern Falls felt like it'd be a magical place to live: snowy, quirky, and pleasantly progressive for such a small town. The charming setting was definitely my favourite part about this book.

Unfortunately, the rest of In the Event of Love was underwhelming as the one-dimensional characters and romance left much to be desired. The little chemistry Morgan and Rachel had felt more physical than romantic so I was never particularly interested in their relationship.

There are a few sad sub-plots that don’t really go anywhere and plenty of sex scenes that felt like filler. I wish some (or most, really) of that energy had gone to fleshing the characters out and creating a spark between them.

The epilogue was cute and I enjoyed it up until the unexpected twist, which I imagine will be quite divisive among fans.

While it wasn't my cup of tea, In the Event of Love was a cute and fun read that I know a lot of people are going to love this winter/holiday season. This was a debut novel so I look forward to seeing how the author improves over the length of their career, and I’ll be picking up their future books.

Thank you to Kensington Books for giving me the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.