The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

congressbaby143's review against another edition

I usually jot down my thoughts when I read a novel of breadth just so I could go back to it later and see the changes along with the progression of the story.

On page 172, I’m still rooting for Kaden, who I think is the prince. I root for him because the assassin’s character seems sketchy. I mean at this point it seems that the assassin wouldn’t harm a hair on Lia’s head but it was just the way he easily fell into that kind of persona that I couldn’t connect to the nature of who he is, an assassin. The dark, brooding, and mysterious guy doesn’t seem to be all that interesting to me anymore. I’m rooting for Kaden, because I need a Kaden in my life too lol

Omg I'm in chapter 43 and wtf Kaden is the assassin? This is such a plot twist for me. I was rooting for him because I thought he was the assassin! I am so confused right now. It seems as if all the hints were pointing to the opposite!!!!!! This is so misleading wtf.

Rafe! I guess it really was in-character of him to fall in love with her right away.

682 pages in and Rafe is a Mary Sue. But I like how his regiment didnt make fun of him when he was talking about his feelings for her.

Walther's death! Goodbye my sweet prince. ;.;

Giving this a 3.5/5 stars. The characters are fine, the plot is too convenient but still very enjoyable even when read at long intervals. What I adored most about this book was its vivid writing. I'm easily transported to the glistening portside of Terravin and in vast landscapes of sand and sand and sand.

inlesnuages's review against another edition

curiositylibrary's review against another edition

Calling Romani coded characters “vagabonds” or any such words is not cute miss Pearson

Also, PLEASE do better research on Romani ppl if you do insist on using their culture in your books. The Romani language is a closed practice ffs

hasstedtn's review against another edition

adventurous challenging sad tense medium-paced

moozy's review against another edition

mysterious reflective slow-paced

bugaleeboo's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

I honestly didn't think I wanted to keep reading the series until the last 50 pages. I'm curious about what's next, but if I didn't read the next books I wouldn't be sad.

amhall11's review

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

This story is weaved together incredibly well. It’s storytelling and world building is reminiscent of The Name Of The Wind, just easier to digest since it’s YA. Love this book. Couldn’t recommend it enough.

petrakropy's review against another edition

So, to start this off, this review might be a little bit biased. I read this book for the first time when I was 14. I was still a kid and I have wonderful memories of this book. And recently, I decided to reread the series, because I never got to finish the last book.

First of all, this book is slow. It felt like nothing was happening for most of the plot. But then it got interesting real quick. There are a lot of twists and I loved the fact that the author wants you to believe in something, and you do. Even though she only implied it.

The characters. This is a tough one. I love Lia, one of my favorite book heroines. She's strong and does what she believes in. She isn't a damsel in distress. Rafe is very lovable, but the romance felt a bit bland. It's like they fell in love just because. I get it from his side, but not from hers. But I am a sucker for romance and I ate it up, so...

In the end, I think I enjoyed this book way better than when I was 14. The backstories of the kingdoms, which I didn't bother to read at that time. The whole vibe of this book screams "cozy", and that's my thing.

beaniedorman's review against another edition

This book really let me down. I am an avid reader of YA fantasy and greatly enjoy romantic elements, so at first glance this book seemed to have a lot of promise. Then it turned into a huge, frustrating disappointment.

Princess Lia is engaged to a prince of a neighboring kingdom. She loathes the idea of an arranged marriage, and decides to run away with one of her maids on her wedding day. The pair escape the kingdom without being found by any soldiers ever and settle in a small fishing village on the northern edge of the kingdom. This could have been great. Two bad ass girls taking control of their lives. Only it wasn't. Lia and her maid get jobs at an inn and then do absolutely nothing. This was where the book lost me. The only reason that I hung on is because of the promise of more interesting characters. More specifically, the two love interests.

When Lia ran away from the castle, her jilted betrothed decided to find her. Also, a third kingdom decided to send an assassin to try and kill her. Again, this could have been great, and there were a few amusing scenes when they first arrived, but it was not enough to save the book. This was one of the worst cases of insta-love I've seen in a while, with both boys falling for Lia the second they lay eyes on her, and Lia losing her mind when either boy speaks to her. That was bad enough, but the thing that really killed the story was that the assassin never actually tried to kill her. Not once. And Lia's attempts to learn how to use a knife were pathetic. I would have laughed if I any emotional investment in the story.

This book had one completely original concept that kept me reading far enough that I decided to finish the book: the mystery of the two boys' POVs. The chapters not in Lia's POV are labeled, but they are labeled in a way that does not reveal to the reader which boy is the prince and which is the assassin. The guessing game idea was so fresh and original and is the reason that this book received two stars instead of one.

This book is labeled as a YA fantasy romance. I did not see enough of either to apply those words to this story. It was bland and disappointing. Perhaps I will read the other two books if I have time to spare, but they will likely remain unread based on this first installment.

linara4522's review against another edition

just realised why I love Mary E Pearson's books so much! It's BECAUSE of the characters and their relationships and NOTHING ELSE;
The plot? i can't even remember it and the little i do remember was substancially meek. Lia, princess bethrothed to an enemy kingdom's prince, escapes her premeditated fate by riding off to a small village in the coutryside with the best friend. The whole book is just her daily in her new life accompagnied by meager chapters of an assassin and a prince both trying to either kill or report her to the authorities. However they both soon fall for the girl throughout the book and the internal turmoil is simply rellishingly devious as it is the only factor pushinh me to read furthor on in the night. Page after page, seeing these characters unravel and bond and discover themselves alongside the reader. I might be overexaggerating things, but truly, the remnant chronicles changed my taste in books/storytelling altogether. I thank the author for it since it was thanks to her that i got inspiration to start writing myself. (well, her and Leigh Bardugo with her riveting duology)
Every single character from this trilogy made my heart yearn for entry to their world, for just a glimpse, a momentary time gulf in which i could meet the characters that shaped me as a person today. This may turn out to be an ode rather than a review but i do not care since words cannot describe how immensly thankful i am to Mary E Pearson's books. It's atrocious how underrated her books are, how unrecognised her work is. I solely wish to have more of her work to read, more of her lush world and soothing words, more, more and more.