Making Money, by Terry Pratchett

ellie_forest's review

adventurous funny medium-paced

katiebonevento's review against another edition

Terry Pratchett is genuinely THE only writer who could make me root for a character named Moist von Lipwig. every day I weep for the good version of Raising Steam that was stolen from us by Alzheimer’s :(

littleragondin's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted reflective fast-paced

jpv0's review against another edition

It was sad, like those businessmen who came to work in serious clothes but wore colorful ties in a mad, desperate attempt to show there was a free spirit in there somewhere.

In [b:Going Postal|64222|Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)|Terry Pratchett|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388236899s/64222.jpg|1636617], 'former' conman Moist von Lipwig rebuilt Ankh-Morpork post from the ground up... but now he's bored. Everything is running as it should; there's nothing left to fix. So when Vetinari offers him the chance to do the same to the bank... of course he runs the other way. One thing leads to another though and eventually the Moist ends up with a new dog who just so happens to own the majority share in the bank. Good times.

Once again Pratchett takes on a wide variety of related topics and Discworlds them. Does the gold standard actually make sense? What actually gives money its value? How does it work for a penny to be more expensive than a penny to make? It's fascinating and makes you want to compare it all to our own world.

Characterwise, we have the return of a few from both Moist von Lipwig's subseries along with others from Ankh-Morpork--in particular Moist and Vetinari. On top of that, we have a few new minor characters--fun and unique as always. My favorite: Cosmo Lavish, a Vetinari-wanna-be going increasingly mad trying to emulate his hero. Fun times that.

Overall, I think I liked Going Postal more, but Making Money is still well worth the read.

shellbellbell's review against another edition

I'll admit, the very end was a little weird and bizarre, but the overall it was really great, just as good as Going Postal. I love Moist von Lipwig. I wish he had more books.

e_flah's review against another edition

Making Money was a mostly fun read but I found myself missing the slapdash schemes and chaotic joy of the first Moist von Lipwig book, Going Postal. As Pratchett books go, this is a solid one.

360noelscope's review against another edition

The sequel to my favorite book of all time continues to delight. I wish we had had more books about Moist von Lipwig, but I'm grateful for the three we do have.

francescaastraea's review against another edition

Mr Fusspot deserves a miniseries.

csd17's review against another edition

MvL takes on the stock market... in an appropriately confounding tale including a turnip, secretaries in love with their bosses, a chef allergic to g____c, and lamb's head stew complete with head (and sunglasses). I was not very fond of one running joke (pun unavoidable). For various reasons, including that and the fact that my reading life is out of control, this will probably be the last Terry Pratchett I read for a while. Here's wishing that Moist had taken on Taxes.

brighteyedathena's review