A Cathedral of Myth and Bone, by Kat Howard

aubreyhi's review

adventurous dark emotional funny reflective tense medium-paced

herwitchiness's review against another edition

An enjoyable collection, I really enjoyed “All of Our Past Places” & “Once, Future.” & “Painted Birds & Shivered Bones”

ohelloandi's review against another edition

"If you know the heart of a curse, you can break it. If you know the heart of a person, you can give them a curse that thinks it's a blessing."

I know that a book is a new favorite when I want to re-read it immediately after finishing the last page. Each of these 16 short stories had me hanging on every word. The tales she weaves are so full of imagination, wonder, haunting myths and metaphors. I will continue to think about these stories until I read this book again.

coolcurrybooks's review against another edition

Review pending.

jessgeekmom's review against another edition

I love short stories. My favorite in this was ‘Saint’s Tide’

falonwillow's review against another edition

Had a few good stories but for the most part they were very surface level. Most of the stories felt like they were trying to be deep but never got the full point across. The writing was quite juvenile and simplistic. The stories I liked, though, I really, really liked.

l_shibest's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

I have read only one other title by this author and that is,  An Unkindness of Magians and I loved that book so much.
I have read very few short story collections. This collection of 16 stories are based on myth and fairytales, where the women take charge of their agency.
Of the 16 stores I enjoyed two that I would give 5 stars to; One and Future (Arthurian Legend), Painted Birds and Shivered Bones.  but unfortunately there However, the others were either too short for the story to make much sense or I just didn't vibe with the particular story.
The prose and flow was done really well in almost all of the stories.

I think other readers will all take away a story or 16 that they connect with. I highly recommend.

abrilspm's review against another edition

A very solid collection of stories with a well developed theme of myths and stories around them, made me remember a starless sea.

crowinator's review against another edition

Actual rating: 3.5 stars