Off to the Races by Elsie Silver

alexwalton's review

funny inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

rcrg's review

I loved everything about this story! Billie and Vaughn were like watching the walking wounded find love.
There was so much betrayal (no cheating), personal growth, forgiveness and learning that life is not always black and white. This was a BIG WIN all around and I highly recommend this book.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

hknixon415's review against another edition

The writing and dialogue were so bad. Just not to my taste.

idagumpen's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

lauratector's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny inspiring medium-paced

sarahmvw1's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted sad medium-paced

emmadunbar93's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective tense

laurahmahmoud's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

It breaks my heart to give an Elsie Silver book a low rating, but it has to be done. I read the ‘Chestnut Springs’ series before this (and loved it), which is why I decided to pick up this series. Seeing as this was her debut novel, I can definitely tell the writing is very amateur compared to how well written her second series was. The first couple of chapters felt like a bunch of word vomit, rushing to give us a back story on the main characters, Billie and Vaughn.

I didn’t like Billie or Vaughn, either. Although Billie had her funny moments, I thought she was annoying a lot of the times and tried too hard to be quirky or different. I also didn’t like how much she hates on the rich and elite but doesn’t acknowledge the privilege and opportunities that came with the environment she grew up in, or how she profited off that lifestyle, because if it wasn’t for her trust fund, she never would’ve been able to leave and start a new life.

As for Vaughn, the man was downright childish and the world’s biggest pushover. Seriously, he needs to grow a spine. I didn’t see any character development from either of them.

I ended up liking the side characters a lot more (Violet, Mira, Hank, Cole, hell even DD). I thought their characters were much more unique and I’m excited to read more about their stories in the other books of the series.

I think the plot itself is very cute, and it would’ve had potential had the writing been a bit more advanced and the main leads written a bit better.

chloemaee's review against another edition

emotional funny medium-paced