The Starless Sea, by Erin Morgenstern

luckydory's review against another edition

Beautiful imagery, and fresh creative world building.

ultravioletmoon's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

judecult's review against another edition

literally the best erin morgenstern i love u

mommarex1221's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense slow-paced

I am a bit sad, I really wanted to like this book. I did appreciate the idea the author was trying to convey, I think the execution fell short. It felt like a tedious retelling of Alice in Wonderland yet not at all because its ultimately a love story to... stories. Very meta.

Due to the complexity of the nested stories and the format in which they were presented, I was often playing catch up whenever corresponding sections would pick up again. I think things were lost or muddled along the way. At some point, I increased audio speed to 1.5 just to help it along (I have never done this before). It's possible may've enjoyed it more if I'd read a physical copy... but the fact of the matter was that I still needed to read a couple "explained" articles to ensure I completely comprehended what I'd just read. If I finish a book and am still confused, that's not a good sign.

If you're thinking of picking this one up because you liked The Night Circus, please know this is not similar in the slightest. If you were not a fan of the format, this is definitely not for you.

But if you enjoy unlocking doors to find beautifully written slow burning paced tales with seemingly endless layers, that are metaphors but sometimes not, and cats then this is the book for you. Maybe take notes.

risemini's review against another edition

adventurous funny inspiring slow-paced

demimancy's review against another edition

Shit, y’all. This book was amazing.

svstark's review against another edition

This is one of the intriguing book i ever read. Lot of imagination work. Awesome

bsmcd's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

baknata's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

I went into this book without much context. I had read another book by the same author but didn't know anything about this book in particular. I figured I'd give it a shot and I am so glad I did. This book is told through various narratives that weave together to tell one story. This was such an appropriate way to tell this story and it added a vital element to it. This book is about stories, and telling it through those stories brings the reader into the book and into the story itself. This book gave me that warm buzzing feeling that you get reading your first favorite book as a kid, the book that sparks a love of reading and inspires you to read everything you can get your hands on.
While the story was impactful and almost a character in and of itself, the shining star of this book for me were the characters. I loved almost all the characters. Even the antagonist was the type of character where the path that lead them to their position is understandable and you can even see how a couple of different decisions from our main character would put him on the same side as the antagonist. Each character is a deep, juicy, understandable, and realistic person. Even better, each character had a direct and important impact on the story at large. It allows us to really see how each choice impacts not only the individual stories of each person, but also the story at large.
Finally, the world that Morgenstern creates is the perfect mix of fantastical and realistic. She creates a world within our world that is complex and is tangled up in all of these stories which breathe life into the place. The mix of genre of not only the various narratives but also the world itself creates an intricate world that would inspire any lover of reading.
While this is a complex book that takes a bit of brain power to make your way through, I couldn't recommend this book enough. I can't wait to reread this book and find all the new elements I missed and get a whole new story. Overall, please read this book!

clowngirl's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring mysterious medium-paced