evanbernstein's review

This was fun to read aloud, and because it was a play, it went by quickly, which was necessary. I really hate time travel stories, and this one has all the typical problems with such a story. If this had been a full novel, it would have been unbearable. Since it was short, it was nice living in the Potterverse one more time.

kaivalyak's review

I just..don't know how to rate this. To be fair, I didn't have a lot of expectations, mainly because this is the script of a play, and it's not even a quarter of how complex it could have been as an actual book. The premise and plot seem good enough: there were many unexpected events and it was wholly complicated as you would expect from a Harry Potter, but the whole thing just feels monumentally watered down.
This is not a good book: it would probably be better on stage(which is the point I guess). The characters, I feel, were not developed very well. A lot of things that they say feel wrong. I didn't feel like I was back in that magical place where I used to be reading the seven books.
There were also a lot of inconsistencies(like the flashback when Hagrid comes to take Harry form Godric's hollow, and Sirius doesn't appear). Plays can't afford to be as complex as books themselves, and this is blatant here. It just felt like we were being bombarded with shocking facts, with hardly any explanations.
The whole thing just felt like fan fiction, to be honest. I just cannot accept this as the future of these characters, and I don't believe I ever will.

List of complaints:
1) Most the beloved characters were at(many) times out of character. For example, Draco. The one nod is the only interaction we see between him and Harry in the 'Nineteen Years Later' chapter, and I was surprised to see how quickly he thawed throughout the book, to be readily included with Harry and the gang. He was having heart-to-hearts with them by the end. While this is actually great, it didn't feel believable. Also, Harry didn't feel like Harry at times, and don't even get me started on Snape. Or Hermione at places.

2)This book was all about Albus and Scorpius. Almost nothing of James or Lily, and the name Teddy Lupin does not appear even once.

3)Time-turner confusion. The third book and it's events with the time turner were complex enough, and in this book it's just chaos and fiasco(which is what the message is) but here it was the strange conundrum that it was too complicated and too simplistic at the same time.

Spoiler4)The possibility that humiliation can drive Cedric Diggory to become a death eater who then finally murders Neville at the Battle of Hogwarts. This makes no logical sense. At all.

5)Voldemort having a child. A daughter with Bellatrix Lestrange, which apparently happened before the Battle of Hogwarts. Putting it into perspective: while Voldemort had taken over the ministry, and was hunting down Harry who was systematically destroying parts of his soul, he decided to blow off steam by caving to Bellatrix's simpers and produced a child together.

The argument for most of these could be that it's just a play, and you can't make it detailed and descriptive. I get that, and that is so frustrating.

There were some redeemable parts though:

Scorpius was marvellous, and I liked him best, even more than Albus. Their friendship was something I enjoyed a lot: one of the good things in this book is the quirky dialogues between them. I also liked that Albus was
Spoilersorted into Slytherin
, along with the prevalence of tension between him and Harry. This was something I could imagine, which made it more real than many other things.
I also quite liked Ginny, something that I didn't quite feel in the original books.

I expected some sort of a Ron/Hermione showdown because of the regret that Rowling showed in pairing them up, but I was glad to see that their endurance was a theme touched upon in the book.

Basically, I'm underwhelmed. It was great to get an insight into the future generations, but not satisfying enough when I felt like I was picking up merely scraps and pieces.

callaem's review

When I first attempted to read this book, I had a hard time getting into it. I picked it up again last night and read right through it, just like the rest of the HP books.

Some of the characters just seemed off to me but it was still nice to revisit all the amazing places from the first books!

wizkid99's review

Not as bad as it was made out to be, but definitely cannot be counted with the classic seven books.

eveyv's review

N.E.W.T. - Defense Against the Dark Arts
Acceptable: Read a book that is black under the dust jacket.

What in the flying Nimbus 2000 was this excuse of a Harry Potter story? No, seriously, what the fuck? I think my reading updates and the shelves I put this thing in are very telling. It both angered me and made me roll my eyes all the way around, to the point I was scared they'd get stuck or something if I kept rolling them. It was so stupid and nonsensical it fucking hurt.

And pardon my English but, for fuck's sake... This absurdity of a book took the canon and threw it on the trash for its own convenience. The dialogues were painful to read, the character's personalities were replaced by a joke of themselves (a bad one, may I add), the plot was based in incredibly stupid decisions that disregarded any prior work in the Harry Potter universe... I'm not even a hardcore fan and I'm pissed, so I can imagine what the hardcore ones may feel. So much so, I can't even imagine this script being any better in theaters. Way to go, JK and writing crew, trying to get a cheap buck out of the zillion fans Harry Potter has.

One star for the edition itself, that is really pretty (and was gifted to me, thanks to the dark lord.) The rest is a no from me, fam.

sercem_w_ksiazkach's review

Oh yikes I forgot this exists and I very much prefer it that way

samanthas_books's review

This play was good, but it's not what I wanted for the 8th HP story. It had a bit of a weird plot, but I did enjoy it and it was interesting. I will say that plays are not my thing, I found it a bit jarring, but I'm still glad that I read this.

yippiekayak's review

If 3 is a half way rating then it's a solid 3. I love HP with all my heart and I only kinda liked this one.

chassard's review

I really wanted to love this but WOW. This is definitely not the magical world of Harry Potter that I know and love, so maybe this is just a case of really high expectations. The adult versions of our favorite characters just don’t track for me, and there’s such a conflict if all seven original stories are cannon, but this is too? It makes no sense. Some aspects of this story are so obvious and overdone in mainstream media. I will say I really loved act two. It had me hooked. Other than that I’m just not a fan.

officialkohls's review

Read this book aloud to my family in the car on my way down to move in for my freshman year of college. It was a nice memory, mostly defined by laughing at how predictable and cringe-inducing the story was.