The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore

friendlylisek's review against another edition

outstanding research, bad storytelling

torturedreadersdept's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative sad medium-paced

tasharau's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective slow-paced

harrisonarachel's review against another edition

Really enjoyed reading this book. I had heard about the Radium Girls some point in my life but had never read a full narrative about it. It was so heart wrenching to hear what these poor ladies had to go through, and how their company were just pig headed, greedy assholes. These women were going through so much excruciating pain, and they made it seem like it was the women’s faults. Not taking any blame, pretty much until the very end.
There was even a bloody doctor who was at first helping the women, who were constantly needing medical help, who couldn’t afford to keep up with the payments, that then turned against the women because he wanted money.... what is wrong with some people? I don’t understand how there could be so much denial and selfishness in the world?
I’m glad that some of them got some kind of compensation, but in no way does it change how horrible their lives turned out to be, all because of these money hungry people. Their lives were ruined. Their families lives were ruined, not only becoming completely bankrupt trying to look after the women in their lives who were dying so horrendously, but by having to watch their women go through so much pain and not being able to do anything to help.

szirbel's review against another edition

I had heard about the radium girls in passing but never really understood what they actually went through without being informed of the risk. The glowing girls and their families should receive the highest of honor for their sacrifice. In hearing of the harrowing and awful experiences these poor young women endured breaks my heart. Please learn from history

galacticmist's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

sarahdeanne's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

wekubek27's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative inspiring sad tense fast-paced

vk124's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative reflective sad slow-paced

This book took me a long time to complete, following the lives of the women and girls who were dial-painters.  It had the heaviness of unavoidability, knowing from history that  these ladies would not be spared the effects of radium poisoning. l felt an echo of their impotence to make the companies responsible for their illnesses accept accountability or do the right thing by them. I also felt impressed by their stamina, strength and desire to help their colleagues and future generations. I am glad Moore put forth the effort to research them and tell their story.

bsafely's review against another edition

Too many books from the library came in, still interested but will read another time