The Once and Future Witches, by Alix E. Harrow

keanselmo's review

challenging dark tense slow-paced

aliciaflo's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

hpolshansky's review

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

captain_slippers's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

melanielbooks's review

An interesting alternative historical fiction about witches in post-Salem, suffrage-era America. Parts of the book dragged for me a bit and at first I had trouble engaging with the characters, but eventually I got hooked on the story. Three witch sisters trying to bring magic/power and freedom to women in a time where wanting control over your own voice and future got you branded as a witch. Each had their own story that stemmed from their shared history, but branched into different directions and struggles.

the_brender's review

dark emotional inspiring medium-paced

jaxamaline's review

The Once and Future Witches
Alix E Harrow

Firstly thank you to @netgalley, Little Brown Book Group UK and the Author for the ARC of this book.

#Scifi #fantasy #witches #TheOnceAndFutureWitches #Netgalley

"In 1893 there’s no such thing as witches"

The opening chapter is filled with wondrous and magical language painting a vivid picture of an otherworldly atmosphere.

"Once upon a time there were three sisters"

I’m at 16% and struggling. This book is barely holding my attention for a full chapter so far. I really hope it improves.

Currently at 42% and still struggling.

Favourite quote so far:
" ‘Rain. Rain. Go away. Come again some other day.’
- A Spell to delay a coming storm, requiring mere good luck"

Picked up around 63% starting to enjoy it now.

So yeah glad I persevered with this the story settles and starts to grip your interest.

I very much enjoyed this book from 60% onwards.

It’s a shame as I was very much excited for this book. I’m glad I stuck with it and got to the end but I don’t know if I would read it again.

A good story if you are willing and able to stick with it, I won’t lie it was hard going for me.

3 stars

aaylajanelle's review

adventurous dark reflective tense slow-paced

kaybethbookish's review

Thank you for Netgalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions are my own and completely honest. .

Stories featuring bickering/distant families isn’t exactly new or rare, but it is unusual to find one where all of the main characters have not been speaking and are borderline hostile towards one another. Even as they spend the book repairing their bonds and unravelling the secrets that pulled them apart to begin with, there’s still an undertone of distrust and uncertainty between them, a fragility to the healing that could break with the slightest misstep.

Our three heroines are backed by a diverse range of supporting characters, from animal familiars, to a crime boss who can't help but fall hopelessly in love with the bold-as-brass Agnes when she comes sweeping into his life unannounced. Foes who aren't foes, and friends who aren't friends, mixed in with twists and turns I wasn't expecting.

I loved the way magic worked, with spells being incorporated into common nursery rhymes and fairytale characters being real and manifesting in surprising ways. Everything about this story was enchanting and I was hooked from the first page until the very last word.

In Harrow's previous book, The Ten Thousand Doors of January, I grew frustrated with the over-use of metaphors and smilies, but in this story she has toned it way back and focused more on the characters and telling things as they are, which creates a much stronger piece of work with a stronger atmosphere.

This is one of my favourite reads of the year and I can't wait to get a physical copy when the book is released!

tacomarae's review

4.5 rounded up. A very good standalone, so much plot but easy to follow.