Take Me with You When You Go, by David Levithan, Jennifer Niven

wellhowstrange's review

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring fast-paced

Honestly I just intended on reading a collaboration between two of my favorite authors when picking this book up and didn’t have much expectations, but it was so complex. I personally enjoyed it, there were just so many twists and turns throughout the book I felt there was never a dull moment. It is a very emotional book, I found it tolerable, but was on the verge of tears so much throughout reading.

mrsleeth's review

emotional fast-paced

taralu's review

emotional hopeful sad

biancabuysbooks's review

“What if all the things we do tomorrow - every choice we make, big and small - could somehow change our shitty, messed-up past? Would we suddenly become different people?”

Jennifer Niven is one of my favorite YA authors so I knew I had to read this book. This was my first by David Levithan, but I would absolutely read more from him. These two brilliant YA authors have paired up to bring us a new novel of siblings escaping an abusive family. Newly released from Knopf Books for Young Readers, this is told in a series of emails and packs in so much emotion, a heavy and powerful read.

Bea and Ezra have experienced more than any siblings should ever have to go through. Not having the easiest childhood, Bea runs away, and Ezra feels lost without his sister. This coming-of-age story details their rough upbringing, their hopes and dreams, their love for each other, and their strength and perseverance.

cheche1's review

inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Its hard to describe this book. I cried sometimes..quietly which makes everything sadder than it needs to be.
Spoiler I hope bea is happier now i hope ezra gets away and lives with his sister. I hope their mom dies from guilt. I hope Darren dies the most painful way ever. I hope London and his mom are fine.I hope bea gets into college. And i hope above all else that they live well.

a_laschinger's review

challenging emotional sad tense medium-paced

betweentheshelves's review

emotional hopeful medium-paced

I have mixed feelings about this book. It's told in emails back and forth between Bea and Ezra, which didn't necessarily work super well in audiobook format, honestly. The passing of time also felt odd; I was never sure how much time was actually passing. However, the subject matter is important and I do think it will hit home with some teens.

jennesaisreads's review

I was given an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Take Me With You When You Go by David Levithan and Jennifer Niven is the story of 18-year-old Bea and her 15-year-old brother, Ezra. Told exclusively through a series of emails, it unveils the hidden lives of these two siblings, victims of a passively abusive mother and an actively abusive stepfather.

The story opens on a typical morning in this unhappy home, with Ezra attempting to eat his breakfast cereal in a manner which will not upset or provoke his stepfather. Then Ezra's mother discovers that Bea is missing. It appears that Bea, who has a history of running away, has disappeared for good this time. In the chaos that ensues, Ezra discovers a hidden email address that Bea has left for him so that he can continue to communicate with her.

As the email exchanges unfold, we learn about where Bea is and why she left and the people she meets. In the meantime, we discover how Ezra is coping with life without his sister, his other half in many ways, and the one person in the world who truly understands what life in their house is like.

This book spoke to me in a deep and meaningful way. It is a story that teenaged me needed way back when, as she was trying to navigate her way through some unhappy family dynamics. It's for anyone who has ever been made to feel "less than" - less than their parental expectations, less than a good student, less than what society deems "normal" or "proper." It's about the many different types of love and about the family you're born with, the family that may be forced upon you, and the family you choose.

CW: child abuse and neglect

Thank you to Random House Children's Books and NetGalley for providing this book for review.

floooodle's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

David Levithan and Jennifer Niven was the author duo we didn’t know we needed. Take Me With You When You Go by David Levithan and Jennifer Niven is a story about a boy called Ezra who wakes up one day to find his sister missing. Bea escaped their toxic family home in search of their father and a better life for herself. Ezra grapples with the struggles of home whilst Bea tries to navigate the new life she has discovered for herself. The book is written in a series of emails between Ezra and Bea as they both try and find their footing in their separate yet intertwined lives.

I personally loved this book. In terms of structure and the way it was written, I loved that it was written in email form and I very much enjoyed the short chapters as well! I felt that you could definitely feel the tone of the author very clearly between Bea and Ezra, and this made the book shine because it increased the character depth and relatability of the characters. I don’t think I have many a bad word to say about this book. I would recommend it to teen/YA readers who are looking for something light hearted yet thought provoking with a new structure to add interest to their reading experience.
TW: Abuse, Death

norab's review

dark emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced