Silver Silence by Nalini Singh

amym84's review

Silver Silence marks a new chapter in the Psy-Changeling series after [b:Allegiance of Honor|26089799|Allegiance of Honor (Psy-Changeling #15)|Nalini Singh|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1457730258s/26089799.jpg|46030383] saw the formation of Trinity Accord. This time, Silver Mercant is front and center after becoming the head of the Emergency Network (or EmNet). Silver has already built up a reputation being Kaleb Krychek's assistant, as well as being part of the exulted Mercant family where information is power and nothing is more powerful than the ties that bind a family.

Valentin Nikolaev, alpha of the StoneWater Bears, has been intrigued by the Silent Silver Marcant for months. When he finally feels like he's making some headway, Silver is attacked in her own home, and Valentin is the one to save her. In order to give the Mercant family time to figure out who was behind the attack on Silver's life, she decides to take refuge with the StoneWater Bears. What Silver discovers is that her feelings for Valentin put into question her entire life in Silence. But Silver will find that breaking Silence may be more dangerous than opening her heart to an alpha.

I like the slightly different direction that the series is taking, while still continuing along the same vein we've come to expect from the series thus far.

Probably my favorite thing was actually getting the inside look at the Mercant family, finally. Silver has been a secondary character for quite a while now, and Kaleb's interest in her family has been well known. I like the dynamic that the Mercant family has. Their unit, while still Psy, and somewhat Silent, is unbreakable. Family first. And Silver's grandmother (and alpha of family Mercant) is quite the person to be reckoned with when one of her own is threatened. I hope we'll get to see her more in future books. Also, Silver's brother Arwen is an interesting character that I'm really hoping Nalini Singh decides to give his own book. There's clearly some set-up between him and another character, but I truly hope he will get his own book and not remain a secondary character.

Now, about Silver and Valentin. I enjoyed their relationship. I wouldn't go so far as to say their relationship is too far beyond anything that we've already come to know from previous books in the series. But I did like the choices that Nalini Singh chose in regards to the path their relationship would take. However, I think if their story had been built up a little in previous books, I would have felt a more emotional connection to the things that Valentin and Silver have to go through in order to reach their Happily Ever After. As far as I know, this is the first time that Valentin and Silver have been mentioned as a potential couple.

I do like the idea of getting to know more bears and by extension the wolves who also carve out a home in Russia.

I'd say that Silver Silence definitely starts the new phase of this series out strong.

*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

afoolsingenuity's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

This almost got rated higher but I did get a little frustrated by this one at times. I liked Silver and Valentin’s slow courtship as he tried to win her over but then jumping from skin privileges to mating bond felt sudden and we were rushed back to them at a distance following her surgery. It was just a little jarring.

I enjoyed seeing a different part of the Psy Changeling world and seeing a new pack but also found the Russian diminutives confusing at first. Valentin had a few different ones and I kept thinking there were characters I’d forgotten. I got to grips with it but meant the start of the book was a bit slow going as I almost had to learn peoples names twice as I adjusted to that. I got there but really slowed down my reading to start.

I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed this world though. It could be repetitive given how long the series is and this is a new one continuing from the original Psy Changeling books yet every time Nalini Singh delivers an interesting read with a brilliant romance and it’s impressive.

hermioneigh's review

adventurous emotional funny medium-paced

rosewitch44's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

indecisivesailorscout's review against another edition

3rd read, 4/25/20: Past me can shut the fuck up I LOVE Silver so much, I love Valya, all of this book was the best and just what I needed, there was enough plot that it was FINE, I just have tons of feelings about these bears you guys. I'm in love. I would mate with a bear if I could.

1st & 2nd read, 2018: A bit more drawn out than it should have been, and missing some of the tension that previous plot-driven books in the series have had to compliment the relationship development. Overall, though, it was a solid book that I really loved.

boosmummy's review against another edition

Enjoyed this latest installment in the Psy-changeling series, this one follows the story of Silver Mercant and instead of wolves and cats we meet bear changelings. The story had a twist which made it stand out from the others.

romanthiccreader's review against another edition

Valentin and the StoneWater Bears are my new favorites. Bears are great. I had no doubt that I would love the bears, and I really do. They breathed life back into the series. We still heard about some of our old pals, but for the most part we've moved on to a new cast. And they're wonderful.

It is officially time for a break from the Psy-Changelings though. There was one scene in particular that really gave me the ick. I'm so close to being caught up with the whole series, and they made up for it in the end. One of the major themes in this book is that the Psy are trying to prove that they can be trusted to not take advantage of people with their sneaky talents. And Silver goes and forces a connection with Valentin. Granted, Valentin did want to be mated to her, he courted her, he loved her. But he was actively saying "No," when she finally pushed through to force the mating bond and it was icky.

But in saying all of that. I loved them together. She's Silver F*cking Merchant and he's her teddy bear. And I do look forward to seeing more of their cool world...eventually.

rowan_reads_romance's review against another edition

slow-paced

ammbooks's review against another edition

Might be one of my favorite Psy-Changeling books.

kate_and_books's review against another edition

I have nothing to add!!!

I loved every hour, minute, second, millisecond, every letter, word, sentence and paragraph in this book. This says it all really.

photo this is the best_zpsb7nnvcxq.jpg

10++++ Be sneaky like a cat Stars.

Book 16 in the Psy/Changeling series and book 1 in the Trinity you’d think it couldn’t get any better? Well you are wrong.

I really do not know how Ms. Singh does but she is a genius. If I had to name a favourite series in the paranormal romance genre then this would be one of them the other one? The Guild Hunter Series. If you haven’t read the series then it is a must for 2017.

I had high hopes for this book and I my anticipation for it was high and I can say that I wasn’t disappointed. Psy/Changeling are my favourite types of couples. Basically I love shifters.
Valentin alpha of the StoneWater Bear Clan is persistent in courting his ice queen Silver Merchant. Ten months he has been courting her and it takes a poisoning to get Silver into clan territory. This is one of the best clans there is because Bears. Boisterous, love to party and well Bears. Especially the barnacle.

Several bears- in bear form- stand up on their back paws to dance. At least two were holding beer bottles in their paws. One had tinsel wrapped around his neck and was, for some unknown reason, wearing sunglasses.

Valentin is one of my favourite Heroes of this series.

Silver fucking Merchant protégé to the Merchant house. Director to the EmNet. She is one of the very few that needs silence as a pure telepath she also has a gift that is a curse. She is pure ice, ruthless and a true equal. And yet I still thought that she is a fantastic heroine.

Silver and Valentin together. Epic. True mates and bloody awesome.

photo King to his queen_zpsbctk4yfl.png

The Psy need the humans now more than ever. The plot is outstanding as per usual and although navigating new territory it doesn’t get boring. I was highly entertained the whole time throughout the book. I was trying really hard not to let those tears out and the hubby caught me.
What I would love to see? BlackEdge (Wolves) & StoneWater (Bears) would be very cool Ms. Singh just saying.

For the moment and the next one

photo the wait is real_zpscoyqjxah.png

Review can also be found @http://jerisbookattic-reviewblog.blogspot.de/2017/05/silver-silence-psy-changeling-trinity-1.html

photo New ARC_zpsdpyxs3wn.jpg