Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot, by Mikki Kendall

michaela_mak's review against another edition

Must read!

idamarie17's review

challenging emotional informative inspiring reflective

themorganrae's review against another edition

I wanted to understand intersectionality more since I recently wrote a research paper on the feminist perspective on maternity leave. From writing my paper, I realized why certain aspects of intersectionality are appealing and sometimes outright good, such as including women of color in the right to vote or accommodating for women with disabilities. However, the postmodern ideology of gender not being rooted in biological sex has led to dangerous consequences; and feminists like this author never acknowledge the clear evidence in the negative physical and mental heath impact of hormone blockers and “gender affirming” surgeries. I assert that a true feminist would care about the truth in order to protect women’s well-being and the safety of women’s spaces.

jaclynlo's review

informative inspiring medium-paced

yennyy's review

informative inspiring

Great, informative, and intersectional take on feminism.

haylee_reads's review against another edition

“If we’re going to say this is a movement that cares for all women it has to be one that not only listens to all women but advocates for their basic needs to be met.”

This book is required reading, especially if your brand of feminism is not yet inclusive and intersectional. This book will call you out and it will be uncomfortable at times, but it is such an important read. The most interesting chapters to me were: “Race, Poverty, and Politics” and “Reproductive Justice, Eugenics, and Maternal Mortality”. I learned so much from this book. The discussions were nuanced and well thought out. The audiobook was easy to digest and the author did a great job narrating it.

christinavdvelde's review against another edition

Big topics, lots to think about, enjoyed the read. Some parts were quite academic, I think I'll need to come back for a re-read at some point

occions's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

comealongphil's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective

cbeatrizls's review against another edition

Um livro que qualquer pessoa que se diga feminista tem que ler - sobretudo qualquer pessoa branca e/ou privilegiada. Uma leitura fácil, mas não ligeira, de temas complexos e extremamente pertinentes. Sigo de olhos e coração mais abertos, e mãos mais prontas para pôr à obra.