She Gets the Girl, by Rachael Lippincott, Alyson Derrick

hnnhmk's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

Things I Liked:
1.) A cute an easy read, but there are darker, more serious undertones that add a lot to substance to the story.
2.) There is no negativity surrounding sexuality, everyone is accepting and affirming. There is no question about sexual identity, no problem.
3.) Split perspectives written by two authors who are partners! Can I get an "awwwww!"?
4.) Perfectly edgy, just enough that it's not an immature book. The perfect YA romance!

Things I was Unsure of:
1.) The ending was so quick, I wish it would've lasted longer. And that's about it. I loved this book.

la_the_book_lover's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted

Such an amazing book. I read it a little while ago but I couldn't get around to writing the review for it until now. For some reason I didn't know how to describe this book in a good enough way to show how much I enjoyed reading it.

So the book is based of off the two main characters Alex and Molly. It has an alternating POV which means that the point of view alternates between the two main characters with every new chapter. I personally really enjoy books that are like this because you really get to connect with both characters equally and understand their thoughts and emotions. Both of the main characters are very different from one another. Molly is a very shy, socially awkward girl who doesn't really have a lot of friends except for her own mother. When the time comes to start colleges Molly wants to change and become more social and have more friends. That's are Alex comes in when they make a deal too help each other. Alex helps Molly or herself out there, be more confident and get the girl of her dreams whilst Molly helps Alex price to her girlfriend that she can be trusted. Alex, like I said, is nothing like Molly. She has always been really selfconfident and has always for example been able to get any girl that she wants. I would definitely say that she is often a bit rude and passive-aggresive, especially in the beginning. I think it's a way for her to protect herself from the world and not really let anyone get to know her very well but in the beginning I felt that it made her character slightly unlikeable. Although it's also important to say that it's clear that she's been through a lot in her life. People always assume things about her which can be very hard to deal with and her mother is also alcoholic so Alex has to take care of her. She also doesn't have a lot of money and often had to work a lot to be able to support herself and also her mother.

Apart from that the romance in this book is an enemies to lovers between Alex and Molly. To be completely honest, before this book I didn't really like enemies to lovers that much. I hadn't read any enemies to lovers since I am just now getting back into the habit of reading but I didn't like the idea of the two main characters fighting and disliking each other and then just being in love and getting together. It didn't make sense to me jow you can go from hating someone to being together with them. But this book changed my mind, I now know what the hype is around enemies to lovers. I knew from the start of the book that it was going to be an enemies to lovers story which at the beginning kind of put me off but I was still willing to try it and I'm so happy that I did.

Not only is this book about romance but it also covers a lot of other hard topics in a really good way. It blends it in with the rest of the story and talks about those topics in a way that makes it feel less hard to read about but it definitely explains everything really well.

It took me a really long time to read it because I am traveling right now so I don't have that much time to spend reading since I have to be doing a lot of other things. But it was also a really fast read considering the total time spent reading. It was easy to get through and pretty fast paced which was just what I needed when I didn't have a lot of time to spend on reading.

This was in general an amazing book and one of the best books I have read so far this year.

bananavc's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted tense fast-paced

had me kicking my feet like a lil fangirl

gabbyholm's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

taylorreadsalot's review against another edition

This story was exactly what I needed after having
an emotionally heavy couple of weeks.
She Gets the Girl is the 2022 version of Drives Me
Crazy, Never Been Kissed, and She's All That, but
sapphic. It's squishy, and fun, lots of great banter, and
of course what high school/college romcom isn't
complete without a makeover scene. 10/10 will be
reading again. The audio version for She Gets the Girl
was also stellar, the different voices the voice actress's
used for the different characters really well.

Thank you Libro for an advanced listening copy.

jcalprlnt's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

jazzymen's review against another edition

ok! so for me I think this was probably a low 4 star maybe 3.5 ish? I enjoyed the book generally and the slow burn was nice, however there were many times in the book where I just had to put it down bc I couldn’t read the next line without feeling the embarrassment radiating off the mcs

the book had a nice story and I think they developed the characters really well but it was a bit hard to get through the first part (really the first 3/4 of the book). Overall the characters were pretty relatable but the plot just didn’t do it for me :/

fiberistanora's review

emotional funny hopeful reflective

phiasreadinglife's review

hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

mangofraiche's review

adventurous funny lighthearted relaxing slow-paced