The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi

paulmoore's review against another edition

slow-paced

beckylbrydon's review against another edition

One of the most confusing books I've read, mainly because Rajaniemi doesn't explain key concepts that he introduces at the start of the book until much later. It starts out really strong and interesting but then slowly everything is introduced without very much explanation so at some point, things stopped making sense anymore....
When they finally made sense again (thanks to an online glossary, which I recommend you have open.... http://www.karangill.com/glossary-quantum-thief-fractal-prince-jean-le-flambeur/) the ending came and made it vaguelly confusing all over again.

The next bit isn't really a spoiler, more context... but if you want the joy of trying to figure it all out by yourself then do skip this bit.
Spoiler This all takes place in the Oubliette, which is a moving city on Mars, where Time is currency stored in Watches. When your Time runs out you're mind is transfered (uploaded and downloaded) into a robot-Quiet-thing which does manual labour to earn more Time. At some point you are then transferred back into a humanoid-robot-body to spend your Time as a human. As a human, change your privacy settings dependent on the situation using something called gevelout, determining how much people see or remember of their time with you. Public memories are stored to the exomemory and can be accessed by anyone by 'blinking. Then theres things called gogols, which something to do with the uploaded minds which can apparently be used as a weapon, which people steal by forcibly uploading peoples minds...
Spoiler

In all it was an interesting book with a very intricate plot line, but because most of the time I didn't know what was going on I have no idea as to whether I would pick up the sequel for fear of it making even less sense

brianne_k's review against another edition

*2.5/5*

nadine_booklover's review against another edition

This was'nt as easy as I thought it would be. It took me long to get even partly into this book. Sometimes I thought either my fantasy must be very bad or my english must be not good enough. I still don't get certain things, but overall it this book is fun to read, something different and a cool story.
From time to time it's kind of anoying that you need to switch views so often.

New for me was not getting attached to a certain main character. I could follow them through the story with a little distance, as if looking from above.

At the beginning I was not even sure if I would finish this book and now I am thinking about getting the next one...

The only thing I wish this book has is a kind of dictionary to get things explained in more detail... :-)

shrimpseas's review against another edition

i just couldn't get into it in the first ~2 chapters

jjmp1993's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

mikime's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious tense medium-paced

This one had it all. A brilliant book with a fantastic world-building, full of futuristic technological devices, systems and concepts (including exomemories, Time as currency, etc), fascinating characters such as the Thief, the Detective, a number of super-beings (gods/goddesses, Immortals, etc), aliens, monsters, robots and many many others, a few clever mysteries (including a locked room one, and another one involving chocolate), and old and new love stories (including quantum-entangled ones).
The reader is plunged into the world and into the story (and its jargon) with little explanation, but most of it is eventually explained and becomes clearer. The author juggles so many threads and elements and manages to satisfactorily untangle quite a few of them, keeping some more up in the air, ready for the sequels. This novel pushed so many buttons both in my brain and in my heart. Looking forward to seeing how the story continues.

atlifreysi's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious medium-paced

skildi ekki alveg , ööööö

les þessa kannski aftur seinna

nvonhein's review against another edition

adventurous challenging medium-paced

This was bizarre and hard to follow but still managed to carry me along to the end. The twists were well set up while surprising, maybe because I was paying so much of my attention to just keeping up. The concepts were super interesting and I’m curious to see where the trilogy goes.

kasperrr's review against another edition

the book was amazingly written, but the physics were complicated so it was quite hard to understand.

i loved the characters and Jean's character development from lying thief to thief u can trust.