Shift, by Hugh Howey

rosalie9's review

tense slow-paced

hollyfromthebigsky's review against another edition

a solid second installment in this series! Looking forward to reading the third.

krakentamer's review against another edition

Wow, I cannot get enough of this world! Granted, Shift is not quite as good as [b:Wool|12287209|Wool (Wool, #1)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327889474s/12287209.jpg|17263666], but this book was still very enjoyable. I thought that the middle part about Mission dragged a little bit too much. I'm diving in to [b:Dust|17855756|Dust (Silo, #3)|Hugh Howey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1369522849s/17855756.jpg|24576986] right away!

Audiobook notes: The narrator was very good; obviously not an American speaker, but handled American accents very well. A little jarring to hear his native voice pronouncing "palm" and "calm" as "pam" and "cam", but that was about the only distraction.

This is also the first book that I've read using Whispersync, and I ran through the book so much faster than Audio-alone. Very impressed with WS technology, even if the ebook->audiobook syncing didn't always work. Audiobook->ebook never got out of sync.

bluebellkell's review against another edition

Solid 4.5, cause I really really enjoyed this one. I LOVE how all the plot points weave together so seamlessly and masterfully! This book was captivating, kept me interested and intrigued, and wasn't overtly predictable, which has become a refreshing factor that I look for in a book :)

wmhenrymorris's review against another edition

I like the main story thread just fine. The others didn't do much for me.

starcrunch's review against another edition

This, the second book in the series, gives backstory on who or what created the silos. It was a bit more depressing than the first, if that's even possible. I didn't mind the downer tone, it was still a compelling story. I didn't care much for Solo's backstory - it was pretty gruesome and entirely predictable. I don't feel like it added much to the larger story. I do like reading the same story-line from book 1, but from another point of view.

geeky_erin's review against another edition

A frustrating read. The story itself has a lot of potential, but the problems from the first novel are more apparent here and bog the story down. I have Dust (part 3) to read, but am not sure I have the energy to make it through.

hazelmort's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

nooker's review against another edition

Now this is how a prequel should be written. Having said, don't read it first, it is really designed to be read after Wool. It covers very well the apocalypse that caused the people to be in the silo in the first place and weaves itself into Wool very well, but parts will make little sense without knowing the events of Wool.

ddanahs's review against another edition

I don't even know why do I like this so much. However, I'm really impressed with style of author's writing and a plot is somehow strangely amazing and not boring even though it has many "unnecessary parts" as others say. But I really need to read the first book from the series again, because I need to check out some names and facts before I'll get into the final book.