Before Watchmen: Minutemen/Silk Spectre, by Amanda Conner, Darwyn Cooke

katharamalama's review against another edition

Really enjoyed the Minutemen segment of the book. Well written and involving. I especially liked the expansion of Silhouette.

The Silk Spectre story was also better than I expected, but not as good as the first part of the book.

gabriel_andres's review

Must Read for any fan of Watchmen

The minutes entries were amazing
I expected a lot more for Silk Specter
Her issues came of as cliched and unoriginal
Art was amazing will deff buy the next one

sammi_k's review against another edition

This is the first ten issues of the Before Watchmen series. If you haven't read the original [b:Watchmen|472331|Watchmen|Alan Moore|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1442239711l/472331._SY75_.jpg|4358649] by Alan Moore, I would not recommend reading these prequels. This contained easter eggs and references to the Watchmen plot.

I am a huge fan of Alan Moore's Watchmen. Though the Minutemen and Silk Spectre origin stories by Darwyn Cooke aren't terrible, they seem to be missing the thoughtfulness and complexities that made Watchmen great. I do appreciate that there was more attention given to how the Minutemen are heroes that should not be idolized.

Spoiler I really liked Silhouette's story, but it wasn't as enjoyable once she was gone. Laurie's LSD trip was pretty entertaining, but also slightly meaningless (in my opinion).
The problems faced by the Minutemen/Watchmen in these issues were nicely depicted but still somewhat bland.

saif42's review against another edition

From what I've heard of Before Watchmen, I didn't expect much going into this story. Most of the criticism I've heard is from people who hate that this is tainting the perfect legacy of the original story and that Alan Moore hates it. Newsflash: Alan Moore hates everything.

This story was genuinely great. Maybe its because I haven't read that much in the past few months but I was genuinely feeling stuff while reading this so I guess that's something. I've also heard that Minutemen and Silk Spectre are the best two stories in the whole series so maybe that's something else.

So far, not a stain on the legacy of Watchmen, but a great addition to it. Unnecessary or not, time will tell.

walkonpooh's review

So I guess first things, I love Watchmen. Both the graphic novel and the film. I’m excited about the TV series by Damon Lindelof and I’m excited to see what DC does with Watchmen in Doomsday Clock. As much as I love Watchmen, unless there’s something there that I’m not seeing, it’s not a sacred cow to me. It’s a great story. Especially the comic, uses the medium to perfection. But I don’t like how Alan Moore gets on a high horse about the characters he created for Watchmen, when he freely uses characters created by other artists across all kinds of his work.

That said, this is the first of Before Watchmen I’ve read. In spite of my initial excitement for it, up until now I just didn’t have the time to read it. Sadly, unless I hear otherwise, this will probably be the last of Before Watchmen that I read. All respect to the late Darwyn Cooke and Amanda Conner, who do provide some great art here, but there’s just nothing else here. What I know of Before Watchmen, the goal was to take modern comic writers and artists and to add additional insight to the original work. The two volumes collected here, Minutemen and Silk Spectre fail dramatically to do this.

Everything that is revealed about the characters here in Before Watchmen are things that are there in the original work. It’s subtext that gives you great insight into the characters in Watchmen, but here hits you on the head in the most obvious way. There’s not a lot of subtlety going on here. Everything in here is the book screaming at the reader, “Hey! Remember Watchmen?” It’s just not good.

Probably the only other Before Watchmen book I would have any interest in would be the J. Michael Straczynski Collection, cause I consider myself a fan of his. This whole ordeal just seems pointless having read this volume. Hopefully, DC has something better in store with Doomsday Clock, because if they do repeat the same mistakes as Before Watchmen, then I would say that maybe writing Watchmen without Alan Moore isn’t the greatest of ideas after all.

svarnyp's review against another edition

EN/CZ

So far my favourite part from the prequels. The art, again, reflects the different stories. However the girlish fantasies from Spectre's story were just amazing. It felt like really following the development of a girl growing up (with vigilante parents). Both stories, and especially the Minutemen, seemed to follow the same formula as Watchmen. Everyone is morally grey and it is really hard to decide who is the good guy. Certainly worth reading if you liked Watchmen. If for nothing else then the Minutemen are basically the uncensored content of the famous book ''Under the hood''.

CZ:
Můj oblíbený díl série. Kresba, zejména u Přízraku, je skvělá a navozuje velmi dobře atmosféru jak dospívání dívky (i s jejími fantaziemi) tak divoká 60. léta. K tomu příběh, který se dost dobře drží původních Strážců a samotní Minutemani v jsou v podstatě obsahem (necenzurovaným) knihy "Pod kápí".

librarimans's review

It's Darwyn Cooke and Amanda Conner, this could have been about watching paint dry and it would be at least 4 stars.

mindsnare666's review

challenging dark emotional medium-paced

mborszich's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

mrdaine's review against another edition

La serie de Minutemen está MUY bien, la de Silk Spectre ya menos.