Midnight Rooms by Donyae Coles

fictionalcass's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

This is a gothic and fairytale inspired novel that follows Orabella into a surprise marriage in a house of horrors, full of vivid imagery that is frankly disturbing. Coles has created a haunting world within this book that was incredibly engrossing. I often felt like I was right alongside Orabella in her confusion about everything happening, and I think that ultimately added to the overall effect.

This book is full of characters as interesting as they are unsettling, and I wanted to know more but the not knowing is what sells it. Reading this book felt like running down a road that you know drops into a cliff but you don’t know when. You always feel like there’s something coming, but never get to be quite prepared for what ends up happening. I think that it does work in this novel, but it did make some sections a bit challenging to get through.

I really enjoyed Orabella as our protagonist, and I was always rooting for her. The way that she was so often torn between such conflicting emotions felt so raw, and she really felt fully realized to me as I was reading, as though she could have walked right off the page. Elias, her counterpart, was another interesting character and I love the way that we are kept guessing about him through the entirety of the novel. Korringhill felt like another character all on its own, and I did enjoy the way that Coles achieved through such vivid descriptions.

Overall, I did really enjoy this one but I did feel a bit lost at times. While it works in the big picture, it made the experience of reading it a bit perplexing. 4⭐️

ninoshmino's review

challenging dark emotional medium-paced

haliespages's review

challenging dark mysterious fast-paced

noreimerreason's review

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

geekyearthmama's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

bookish_aly_cat's review

This was a strange and delightful read that kept me turning page after page. This atmospheric, gothic tale was both beautiful and bizarre and I enjoyed every minute I spent reading it.

Thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy for review.

jerichamacie's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Orabella has resigned herself to a life of less, until Elias Blakersby shows up. In something reminiscent of a fairy tale she lets herself be whisked away with the promise of comfort, fortune and something more.

The decaying visage of Korringhill manor and rot within pushes Orabella through the threshold of unreality and into a dream darker than any she's known before. In a vibrant landscape of honey and teeth Orabella spins suspended by her own uncertainty and unruly desire.

An enchanting and unsettling mystery, about becoming or being overcome by the beasts all around.

kerryamchugh's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

yellowmoonreads's review against another edition

*Review to come.*