Reviews tagging 'Stalking'

The Mistletoe Motive by Chloe Liese

nadiaherondale's review

hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

A quick read Holiday novella and my first Chloe Liese that makes me want to dive deep into her bibliography

brynn_books's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

This was such a cute romance book! It was perfect for the holiday season.

I really liked how the author had a playlist song for each chapter. It really helped me immerse myself in the story more.

I liked the autistic, demisexual, and type 1 diabetes representation. Overall, this was a really good book.I would highly recommend reading it if you're in need of some festive joy.

evelynyle_88's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

The Mistletoe Motive by Chloe Liese

World building : ★★★★★
Character development : ★★★★★
Plot : ★★★★★

The Mistletoe Motive is the book that make me suddenly fall in love at the first time reading. This book is a fast-paced book for many reasons. I love that there's autistic representation here; which connected to Disability December and also Christmas vibes too.

We followed the journey of Gabriella Di Natale and Jonathan Frost that I guess so funny here. Their enemies to lovers trope I can feel it here. Such a clever, funny, beautiful and cute Christmas story with a neurodivergent main character.

Brilliant!

serendipitysbooks's review

lighthearted reflective medium-paced

The Mistletoe Motive is an enemies-to-lovers (with a side of friends to lovers) romance, set in a bookstore. It’s got definite You’ve Got Mail vibes. It’s also got some good diversity representation since Gabby is autistic and demisexual, while Jonathan has Type 1 diabetes. A fun slow-burn.

sdupont's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

What a cute Christmas novella! In true Chloe Liese fashion this book delivers great dialogue/banter between the two love interests. The Mistletoe Motive is a cross between Pride and Prejudice and You’ve Got Mail (but better). I definitely recommend this novella for fans of a quick holiday romance read!

overbooked207's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring fast-paced

📖 The Mistletoe Motive by Chloe Liese Book Review 📖

5th book of January 2022 and 5th of the year:

This is definitely a new favorite book of all time! I absolutely loved the romance, the setting of an independent bookstore during the winter/holidays, the Pride and Prejudice references and inspiration, the use of the hate-to-love/enemies/rivals-to-lovers tropes, the main character, the love interest, the writing, the witty dialogue, the chemistry, the representation, the amazing audiobook, and the ending! I couldn’t stop smiling and stayed up way later than I should have to finish it. Needless to say, I highly recommend picking it up and will be buying and rereading it one day and checking out more books from this author! TW for stalking, chronic illness, cursing, ableism, panic attacks, medical content, and explicit sexual content♥️😍📚

the_vegan_bookworm's review

lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

A very cute holiday romance with a very likeable enemies-to-lovers plot! I am a sucker for any story that takes place in a bookstore, and this novella was no exception.

I appreciated the disability and neurodivergence representation, as well as the build-up and chemistry between Jonathan and Gabriela.

If you're looking for sweet Christmas vibes, look no further!

aromarrie's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

pucksandpaperbacks's review

Hockey lovers, neurodivergence, a rivals to lovers romance, trying to save a bookshop and WHY DON'T WE??  This was everything I love and MORE! Oh my gosh, I loved it so so much. Highly recommend the e-book and audiobook!

foxonabook's review

emotional lighthearted fast-paced

I don't tend to read romance novels, never mind Christmas romance novels. However, since I spent this Christmas in self-isolation and I am a sucker for the so-bad-they're-good Christmas movies, I thought I would give this a go.

This has been described across Bookstagram as an enemies-to-lovers holiday romance, and while the latter part of the description is accurate, I wouldn't describe this as an enemies-to-lovers book. If anything, the 'hate' the two characters are supposed to feel towards one another was laid on thick and felt very forced.
Spoiler Additionally, it was evident from very early on in the book that Jonathan was pining after Gabriella and that he was Mr Reddit. Seriously, as soon as Mr Reddit was mentioned, I knew where the plot was headed.
However, foreseeing that plot twist made the book more enjoyable since I knew it was coming.

I appreciate that this was a novella so there may have been less room to really develop the characters, but some character development would have made the book more enjoyable. I felt that we are told a lot of the things rather than allowed to experience them with the characters. For example, Gabby tells readers that she's a demisexual and explains to readers that for her to feel attracted to a character, there needs to be some sort of connection. We then know, from very early on in the book, that Gabby has a very vivid sexual dream involving Jonathan despite her 'hatred' towards him, therefore she must have some connection with him. Yet this emotional connection is never demonstrated throughout the book.

I think allowing readers to experience things from the character's perspective, rather than being told how they experience things, would have been so impactful given that this is an own-voices book with a neuro-divergent character. We experience some of the barriers that Gabby experiences, particularly in terms of the silent conversations that her friends have by use of facial expressions, but that's the extent of it. Gabby often talks about how diverging away from routine unsettles her or how loud noises affect her, but, I think, it would have been impactful to have had those experiences described to the reader. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of telling rather than showing, and I don't know whether this is due to the fact that this is a novella with a limited word count or if it's the author's usual style.

With all of that said, I love Christmas movies because they're cheesy, predictable, and heart-warming. True, I'd have liked for a slightly more slow-burn romance (because this is anything but slow-burn) and a more genuine enemies-to-lovers, but it was an enjoyable read and left me with the same warm and fuzzy feeling I would get from a so-bad-it's-good Christmas movie. Am I suddenly converted to reading more Christmas Romance books? The jury's still out, but I would recommend this to anyone looking for an easy Christmas read.