The Pocket Pair by Emma St. Clair

soph_cj's review against another edition

funny lighthearted

leafonthewind's review

lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

lauren_reads13's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

daydreamingreview's review against another edition

3.5★ okay so this was good but not my favorite in the series by far. I really liked Val and Chevy as seperate characters and there were a couple swoony moments between the two but we spend most of the time in the will they/wont they tension and when they finally do I felt like we saw them in a relationship for maybe 4? chapters before they had a conflict and "broke up." I enjoyed the Chevy and James friendship, and this town of sheetcake is just a good time for me idk what it is but the vibes are vibing. The Pat and Lindy cameos made my life. I thought this was good but I needed more from them romantically.

beluapri's review

funny lighthearted slow-paced

thisbookishmom's review against another edition

Loved this 3rd installment of the Sheet Cake series! I am definitely a fan of contemporary standalone books that are connected. It was so fun to get to know Val and Chevy in the first two books and then finally get their story. It just adds so much more depth and love for the characters!

So many adorable moments and moments that had me laughing out loud. I loved Chevy’s nicknames for Val and the way he tries to take care of her.

I will definitely be eagerly awaiting more Sheet Cake stories!

smalltownbookmom's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this latest Sheet Cake, Texas romance from Emma St. Clair!! A fun, grumpy/sunshine, dual POV, mutual pining, roommance between Chevy, the town sheriff and Val, his sister's best friend and a talented painter who is about to leave for Costa Rica.

Val's upcoming trip forces Chevy to confront the feelings he's long buried and his own feelings of not being good enough for Val. Slowly this forced proximity romance helps to break down Chevy's objections and the two realize there's a mutual attraction.

Full of humor, heart and great emotional depth, this is a kissing only romance that delivers ALL the feels as only Emily can. While this is the third book in the series it does work as a standalone and was good on audio too narrated by Kit Swann and Lee Samuels.

Steam level: closed door/kissing only

jacklynsbooknook's review against another edition

funny lighthearted slow-paced

Once I started listening to this I couldn’t put it down!! Kit and Lee did an amazing job as narrators!! I loved how they voiced Val and Chevy but also all of the side characters!! They gave every single one a distinct voice and personality!

I was laughing out from the very first chapter. This such a fun book to read! Val and Chevy are perfect for each other. I was all in on these two from the minute he walked into the CVS! Both of their inner dialogues were so funny.

I really loved how Chevy didn’t try and stop Val from going to Costa Rica and really gave her that space and support to make her own decisions. Val was so sweet and really helped him navigate his baggage from his dad’s cheating.

The town of Sheet Cake might meddle all the time, but as a community they are very supportive of their own.

If you are a fan of Emma’s you know she is the queen of closed door romances, but that doesn’t mean you still won’t get a little hot under the collar

✨Tropes
🩷Romantic Comedy
🏡Small Town
🩵Best Friends Brother
☀️Friends to Lovers
😂Hilarious Banter
💋Closed Door Spice

melissasbookshelf's review against another edition

“Tiny, if I kiss you for real, it’s not gonna be because our friends pushed us into it. Or because we happen to be standing under a fishing rod holding a small shrub posing as mistletoe.”

I LOVED this book! I’ve been highly anticipating Val’s and Chevy’s story and this hit all the right spots! With her characteristic heartfelt humor, Emma St. Clair delivered a swoony, mutual pining, little sister’s best friend, forbidden, roommate situation romance that was utterly amazing. From that first scene with the opossum, I was hooked and couldn’t put it down.

Chevy suffers from the knowledge that his father cheated on his mother. He worries that he’ll be unable to commit, just like his dad. He’s long had feelings for Val, but she’s his little sister’s best friend and Winnie’s threatened to do all sorts of things if he breaks her heart. So, he pines and goes through a series of noncommittal relationships. But, when Val’s aunt leaves for Costa Rica, Chevy offers her a place to stay while she decides if she’ll go live there with her. If he thought admiring Val from afar was torture, he’s about to get his world thrown upside down when she moves in.

Val has had a crush on Chevy for years, but she was always warned off him by her friend Winnie. Every look, gesture, and even the nickname “Tiny” he’s given her just make her love him more. But, longing for something she can’t have leaves her empty. So when her aunt Mari decides to up and move to Costa Rica, she looks at it as an opportunity for a fresh start and a way to hone her painting skills by studying with one of the masters who lives there. When Chevy offers her a place to stay while she works out the details, she’s tempted not to leave.

I loved this book! There were so many things I appreciated about it. I loved the animals including the rescue owl and opossum treated like a cat. I loved seeing Lindy, Winnie, the Graham brothers and Tank again. The Sheeters are as hilarious as ever including Wolf and his mysterious bunker. I loved all the push and pull between Val and Chevy and their almost kisses. Loved Val’s fiery personality and Chevy’s cool facade, the pregnancy test fiasco, the pickup basketball game, the airport scenes, and the “mistletoe” kiss! I also enjoyed the way the author tackles real issues that seep into relationships like parental abandonment and cheating balanced with romance and humor.

It’s the perfect beach or summer vacation read! Visiting Sheet Cake is like visiting close friends and I can’t wait for more. I’m so looking forward to Collin’s story. Highly recommend to clean romcom fans! While it’s the third book in the series, it could be read as a standalone. I received an advanced complimentary copy from the author but also purchased it in KU. All opinions are my own and voluntarily provided.

kyliegh_reads's review against another edition

“If you can’t beat them, better attach yourself to ‘em like a tick.”

“Because there’s no if we kiss—only when. And frankly, I’m tired of waiting for the when.”

Emma St Clair has done it again. Ok, Chevy and Val are definitely my favorite Sheet Cake couple and this is my favorite book of the series