Ruinsong, by Julia Ember

sunkissedfool's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced

sakuraa's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

thesunriseinside's review against another edition

I have no idea how to rate this. I only remember that I felt that the synopsis mentions things that were super far in the background & off-page. & I don't even remember how it ended.

jgberokoff's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

nickle4books's review against another edition

adventurous emotional slow-paced

raviolirachel's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

ghostygoblingay's review against another edition

***3.75 stars***
I did enjoy it, but it didn't really live up to my expectations. There are lots of good things about it (descriptive writing mostly) but I didn't love most bits. I think that the characters were a bit underdeveloped (particularly Remi and Cadence) and having a slow burn romance with dual perspectives is really just aggravating. The descriptive writing could have been ditched at times (mostly in Cadence's chapters when she was discussing her love life) it just made it uncomfortable to read. I think I probably could have really liked Nolan as a character, but I couldn't imagine him as anything other than a TikTok boy (that's on me though.) I really liked the ending, even though it was a VERY predictable one. I am wondering if this will be the first book to a series since it ended on a cliffhanger?
Just as a little last note: Remi and Cadence were a very sweet couple, even if the VERY SLOW BURN romance was aggravating.

wildefine's review against another edition

takie solidne trzy gwiazdki, bo ksiazka byla przyjemna i bardzo przyciagnal mnie do niej fakt, ze jest inspirowana upiorem opery. magia zwiazana ze spiewem byla tu bardzo ciekawa! fabularnie to nie bylo nic odkrywczego, mam wrazenie, ze gdyby inspiracje upiorem bylo czuc tez w fabule to mogloby mi sie spodobac bardziej. postacie tez byly w porzadku i glowny romans childhood friends to enemies to lovers slow burn !!! that was great. nie wywolala we mnie wiekszych emocji, ale milo spedzilam czas przy tej historii so would recommend

valsbrainhurts's review against another edition

When I saw this book was sapphic it immediately caught my eye. In the end of the day I did feel that the romance was lacking. I just couldn’t feel the chemistry between Cadence and Remi. Maybe if the book had been longer it would have given some time for something more to brew since their romantic relationship didn’t happen until the end of the book.

I found the world quite interesting. I don’t see this type of magic in books often, if at all. I wish we had more time to really delve into it. I would have loved to learn more about the Expelled and the settlement. Don’t even get me started on the rebellion. We could of had gotten so much more information on it that would have been very interesting, but the little we got was just sprinkled in.

I personally felt the ending was pretty anticlimactic. Again, I wish it had been more drawn out and I think that would have fixed the issue completely. The very last page does imply a possible second book but as of now it’s unclear. I have high hopes for it being a duology, I think if we get another book to further go into everything that’d be great. I’d especially love to see further into Cadence and Remi’s relationship, especially since there was so little of it in this book it wouldn’t have made a difference to the storyline if they had just stayed friends.

I definitely still recommend this book, but I wouldn’t have high hopes for feeling fulfilled in all aspects.

rebecamarz's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced