Ruinsong, by Julia Ember

sarahsbookstack's review against another edition

dark emotional fast-paced

This was quite unique in the way that magic is used through song. The current queen invites two from every household to a yearly event where a mage sings a song and the torture that it brings gets now ruthless every year. Many people die. They are constantly watched for any small infraction which can result in a song being sung at them. The magic songs are rarely used to help heal.

Cadence is a mage singer forced to do the queen's bidding. Remi is from a wealthy family and was once Cadence's friend as a child. When Remi and her family are threatened, she is forced by the queen to be a companion to Cadence. Little does the queen know..... People are about to come for her...

It was a nice story that was easy to get through and I feel like there should be a sequel because I want to know what happens after that ending.

chiara_h's review against another edition

challenging inspiring fast-paced

villanellemp3's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

booklandish's review against another edition

This was a fast paced YA fantasy, with a saphic romance that was just lovely. The magic system was super interesting and revolved around song, I wish it was more developped though, as I was fascinated! The worldbuilding was captivating, twisting some ideas around social classes and genders that was fun to think about. (For the record, I think this could have been 600 pages to develop and dig into every aspect.) The story is told from two POVs and I honestly loved both. The lush writing style served the story very well. Overall a story that will transport you.

ash24314's review

emotional fast-paced

balto's review against another edition

3.5 rounded up.

I feel like I had a more coherent review in my head while I was reading and now that I'm done I've got nothing. This was nothing spectacular but it had an interesting world/magic system I would've liked to know more about and I zipped through reading this a lot faster than I usually take.

Biggest complaint is probably the pacing to me, in that it felt like a good portion of the book was too much of a slow build to a very fast ending. The romance felt similar in that way too, I don't think they even interacted on page for a long time, and I would have liked to see more development there before the book ended so fast. Normally I appreciate a YA standalone but this is one I would've liked to have more on just to see what happens after all the dust has settled and to see Cadence and Remi navigate a relationship after everything that happened.

laimeem's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

abby_rose's review against another edition

My biggest problem with Ruinsong is that I do not like Remi. Not even a little bit. I think it would have benefited from being just from Cadence’s perspective, with more fleshed out scenes. Remi is naïve and annoying; she knows nothing about how magic works but somehow points out that “Cadence, of course, there are spells to protect yourself. Why don’t you learn some? It can’t be that hard.” For someone who has also done nothing to stand up to the queen and has been in relative safety, she’s swift to judge Cadence and expect the worst.

The magic was cool, but I think it would have been even better with more development. I love more exploration of the other types of song magic. Why is the magic sung? What happens if you sing a song differently?

The whole world should be more developed. More explanation of the belief system. Why is such a big deal the Elene worships a different goddess? How big is this country? There was too much time angsting over what Remi thinks of Cadence and not enough time spent making their world make sense.

It seemed like the book was very rushed in regards to the time frame. It’s been, what, a month from the beginning to end, and they’re going to try to start a revolution, but Remi and Cadence can’t talk to each other and work out some issues?

Ruinsong sounded very promising but fell short for me.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

samsonian's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

EEHAJSHSHSHAHAHA THIS BOOK IS LESBIAN YEARNING IN UNDER 400 PAGES PLS LET THERE BE A SECOND BOOK 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

willowmae's review against another edition

adventurous challenging fast-paced