This Delicious Death by Kayla Cottingham

ee_comins's review

adventurous dark emotional funny informative mysterious sad tense fast-paced

kharri13's review

It's more of a 4.75. I loved this book a lot. It was such a fun thriller/horror. Celeste and zoeys relationship was a fun read and I was glad they got together. The premise of a freaky illness affecting hollows to make them feral was so interesting and I kind of wish there was more I could've read about it cause it was that good. I liked this a lot and highly suggest it. Kayla cottingham you are an always buy

nerdmuffin's review

I was very concerned at the beginning of this novel. The writing style seemed reminiscent of an 8th great creative writing assignment with character descriptions consisting of long chains of adjectives with nothing but commas keeping it together (something I despise and find sophomoric). But, I continued on and was pleasantly surprised to find a story that was pretty good. I don't know if the writing improved or if the story just captured my attention to the point where I no longer noticed, just a disclaimer. But it was an enjoyable, easy read with a smattering of queer panic and pining mixed in with some gentle body horror and a mystery. Inspiration seemed drawn directly from modern headlines with a plausible genesis for the virus that infected people globally (melting permafrost due to global warming), but I really would have liked to see more development of the disease itself: if it was airborne why didn't some people seem to get sick at all and why did only a small percentage of those who did become ill go on to become hollow? I also felt like Jasmine needed to be fleshed (no pun intended) out more. She was practically relegated to a background extra. And maybe it was just me, but Zoey and her friends seemed to be living embodiments of stereotypes (tough jock lesbian Jasmine, expert MUA hyper feminine trans Celeste, mopey sad sack emo bi Zoey, and the It girl cheerleader possibly bi but hiding it Val?) Just me? Reading too much into it? Anyway. Final takeaway is this was a fun take on a zombie plot with plenty angst and minimal consumption of human flesh.

e_knight's review

hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

Cute horror novel about gay zombies solving a mystery! Yes, cute and horror may not belong in the same sentence, but it’s my review and I’m simply going off vibes rn.

lizzie_777's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny mysterious tense fast-paced

thiscryptidreads's review

adventurous hopeful fast-paced

What's more fun then four friends going on their first road trip to a music festival? How about hiding a body and trying to solve who is spiking the drinks of attendees hoping they turn into gruesome monsters?

This book was such a fun read, it gave almost Scooby do "who done it" vibes in the best way. Amazing LGBTQIA+ representation, I was griping my kindle reading so fast to see what happened next. The mystery and the love story had me on the edge of my seat.

If you like my reviews you can follow me at ThisCryptidReads on Instagram, Tiktok, and CryptidReads1 on Twitter\X

invertedsquares's review