This Delicious Death by Kayla Cottingham

kaelaceleste's review

This was so fun! I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately and I picked this out the other day as something quick and easy to get through, and it did just what the doctor ordered.

There was a lot to love here - pandemic-inspired writing that's creative and not too on the nose, really lovely diverse and queer characters, and a side of cannibalism as a treat. I really loved the writing style too, super easy to read but also clever and funny. The characters were so cute and fun to read! I especially loved Celeste. The music festival setting was also super fun. Also the cover! Can we talk about the cover.

Just a few things I didn't love... I didn't super care for any of the romance elements at play here. Imo it took away from the horror parts (some of which were pretty scary!) but luckily it didn't take up that much of the plot. For a few parts I also had to suspend disbelief a bit but I liked everything else enough that it didn't matter that much. I also thought the shifting perspectives were at times a little random, but it was interesting and necessary to establish some of the characters' motivations.

I think this would make a super fun little teen horror film! Recommended for anyone who likes gay teen girls who eat human flesh!

amullen03's review

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This was a very interesting read. I definitely don't read zombie type books often but this was a very interesting take on zombies. The main friend group was very diverse and I really enjoyed how they shared about who they are without making it the whole story. The hardest part is with listening to the audio book you don't always notice when it would switch back and forth on the time periods.
I enjoyed the mystery aspect and i definitely didnt see some of the things coming. It's definitely a book you should check out. 3.5/5

books_by_cille's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

averagebookgerblin's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

fairyhag's review against another edition

this book definitely satisfied my need for a casual and quick fiction read while also exceeding my expectations. Just the right amount of horror for me, and i really liked all the characters! cannibalism, romance, and music festivals gone wrong, what could be better?

mysticmarisa's review

This Delicious Death has a really fun/interesting premise but… the writing is so bad. The character descriptions were so hard to read, all telling and no showing.

I 100% think this would have fared better if it were set in the 80s because the tik tok/influencer references were awful. Some of the things she mentioned were ALREADY dated and the book just came out.

It would have been much better in third person too. The switched tenses and perspectives in the flashbacks did not work.

Still… it’s kinda funny and goofy? Something to read if you want a laugh perhaps.

stormecho52's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

kay_eileen's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

khandle3's review

adventurous medium-paced

1.5

i wasn’t the right audience for this book, but beyond that, everything felt superficial. i did appreciate the flashbacks and wanted more of those!!

federal_farmer's review