The Heart Principle, by Helen Hoang

urmominator's review against another edition

fast-paced

qgg's review against another edition

Helen Hoang is, again, an #actuallyautistic writer, writing romance from the autistic perspective in the character of Anna. She’s also an #ownvoices writer, writing from the Vietnamese-American perspective in the character of Quan.

Anna is a Chinese-American violist who does not know she is autistic and partially in autistic burnout at the beginning of the story. She is obsessively practicing a musical piece seeking perfection and starting over every time she doesn’t quite hear it. She’s masking her autism in her relationship and with her family. It’s not until she meets Quan that she starts to be honest in her interactions with another person. Then a family tragedy forces her into a situation where she’s masking more than ever and sinking deeper into burnout.

Quan has his own issues in this book that make his character very different from the previous books in the series. I do wish we were able to see more of his perspective and growth in this book. He is so sweetly patient, understanding and giving.

The criticisms I’ve seen of this title are:
1. it's not a romance title. I would agree that this book is heavier than every romance book I've read. I appreciated that aspect.
2. it needed trigger or content warnings. I did not feel that was necessary, but this may be a generational thing.
3. that Anna doesn’t deserve Quan and/or needed to do all of her healing before they could get together. I don’t think neurotypical readers understand how ableist this criticism is. I will admit that it was hard to watch Anna struggle through varying depths of autistic burnout in a romance title. However, people of all abilities and disabilities deserve love. Quan knows what autism is like through his brother. Anna’s symptoms are different than Kai’s, but Quan has a lot of love and comfort to give, and it is his choice.

zinokato's review against another edition

emotional

ktstint's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

teedy's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

morganmou's review against another edition

Spicy romance, book 3 of her series that I love. I almost read this book in one day but made myself stop for the last 25% so I could stretch it out a little longer. There’s something about this writers style that really resonates with my preferences for fiction.

anova's review against another edition

This was so sad and heartbreaking! I definitely didn't expect it. I was listening to an audiobook at work and at one point I wanted to cry so bad I had to take a break.

Relationship between Anna and Quan was beautiful. Both of them had to overcome some things (and it was hard for them) and let me be honest Anna's boyfriend and sister suck! Anna has so much on her plate - she is diagnosed with ASD, she is taking care for her dad and her boyfriend wants an open relationship. This book deals with a lot.

Even thought The Heart Principle deals with heavier topics than both previous book (and I'm not usually fan of that) I have to say I like this one the most.

beeisvibey's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted reflective sad tense medium-paced

moonlittee's review against another edition

emotional inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

elle1991's review against another edition