The Recovery Agent, by Janet Evanovich

flinx8's review

slow-paced

mareich's review against another edition

As a long-time Evanovich fan, I picked up this book with a bit of eagerness. Sad to say, "The Recovery Agent" is decent, but Gabriella Rose is no Stephanie Plum. Gabriella is (somehow) making a living recovering things for clients, and is on the trail of a mysterious ring, "The Seal of Solomon," which is part of a lost Conquistador treasure. Along the way, she tangles with a lunatic proponent of a mystical death cult god who also wants to ring in order to activate an army of zombie warriors to bring the death god to power. Sounds looney, and it is looney, and along the way, we meet a number of Gabriella's friends and associates, including an ex-husband, grandmother, and some drug-lord henchmen who are helping her in her quest. Don't get me wrong, some of the plots in Stephanie Plum books were quite looney as well, so looniness alone isn't a disqualifier. It's not fair to draw too many comparisons to the world of Stephanie Plum, because over the course of dozens of books, we've come to know her friends, family, and associates very well, but we really don't learn much about Ms. Rose's compatriots. The book doesn't have the plot development or humor of the Plum novels, even the least of the latter. So, it was a good enough book, which moved along fairly quickly, but didn't measure up to what I hoped for. Maybe subsequent stories will elevate Ms. Rose's exploits.

shelleyrae's review

As a long time fan of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series, I couldn’t miss the opportunity to read The Recovery Agent, the first book in a new series featuring Insurance Fraud Investigator Gabriela Rose.

Gabriela Rose, who made her debut in Fortune and Glory (book #27 of the Stephanie Plum series) makes a living by recovering assets and items for individuals or companies, but her latest case is personal. With her hometown of Scoon on the verge of collapse after damage wreaked by Category 4 storm, Gabriela’s grandmother Fanny believes that all their problems can be solved if Gabriela finds the lost Treasure of Lima, or more specifically The Seal of Solomon.

I wanted to love The Recovery Agent, but unfortunately I didn’t. I’m not exactly sure where the failure lies though.

There is plenty of entertaining adventure and action as Gabriela follows a trail into the South American jungle to the territory of the God of Death, guided by a drug dealer, and in the company of her ex-husband. Her search pits her against El Dragon, a drug dealer and a fanatical disciple of Supay, the God of Death, who also wants the Seal of Solomon, which is purported to allow the bearer to raise and enslave the dead. There are stand-offs and gun battles, explosions and collisions. Gabriela is variously nearly drowned, tasered, shot and drugged but refuses to give up.

I’d describe Gabriela as a less sophisticated version of Lara Croft. She’s definitely tough, smart and resourceful, an expert in martial arts and weapons, I just can’t quite imagine how a girl from a fishing village who married her childhood sweetheart became such a bad-ass though. I wasn’t entirely convinced of the chemistry between Gabriela and her ex-husband, Rafer either. Lust, sure, there are regular references to how ‘hot’ Rafer is, and the pair have a long history, but i didn’t really feel the tension between them.

There is plenty of humour in The Recovery Agent. Gabriela and Rafer banter their entire way through the book, and Evanovich, as always, has a great sense of comic timing.

While all the elements of a story I enjoy seem to be there, I still feel there is something lacking overall, it’s like an itch I can’t quite reach. I’d be willing to give the sequel a shot though, in the hopes of recovery.

laura_tofflemire's review

lighthearted fast-paced

sarahrosecollins's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

katiescott's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted tense fast-paced

rain_97's review

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced

Such an engaging adventurous story.

ellehawk's review

I didn’t LOVE the writing, it felt almost juvenile and I think a more serious tone would’ve benefited the plot greatly, however, it did make it a very quick read! I was looking for a more adventurous story, and this one definitely gives it to you!

starsbooksandtea's review

Title: The Recovery Agent
Author: Janet Evanovich
Release Date: March 22, 2022
Page Count: 314
Start Date: July 14th, 2022
Finish Date: July 29th, 2022

Review:
Story: I really enjoyed this story very much. As I've read another series by this author, I had some issues with comparing this series with that. I had to set the book aside and reset it because of that. I can't say I enjoyed this book as much as I did the Plum series, but it was still a terrific read. I'm looking forward to seeing more books in this series. I might become more attached to this series as it goes along. I definitely want to see what happens with all of the characters!
Characters: I'm bad with names and I listened to this in audiobook. I know the main character's name is Gabriella. She's pretty amazing. A little on the snobbish side. She's kind of like a sophisticated version of Stephanie Plum. I didn't intend to compare them, but I couldn't help it. It just happened.
Critiques: None that I can think of.
Narration: I really enjoyed the narrator. She's a lot better than the narrator they had for One for the Money. Not that there was anything wrong with the narrator. She just didn't fit what I imagined for the book.
Final Thoughts: I'm not fully connected to this series yet. I can say that I have really enjoyed the first book. I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. I am also looking forward to getting to know all of the characters a bit better as the series progresses.

ametcalf's review