Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life, by Anne Lamott

pantailamon's review against another edition

Beautiful, uplifting, funny, real, down-to-earth, and inspiring all at once. There were multiple times where I just wanted to put the book down, drive out to the nearest cafe, people-watch for 8 hours, and write down absolutely everything running through my head. It takes a special kind of media to inspire me like that. A must-read for aspiring writers.

quinnsmom's review against another edition

I devoured this book in almost one sitting. Words of wisdom for writers, wannabe writers, or if like me you just love reading. The book offered practical and down-to-earth advice, a look behind the curtain of the writing life and also life lessons that apply to everyone. I feel like I just spent a few hours with a good friend. This is my first time reading Anne Lamott's work and look forward to reading more.

abookgail's review against another edition

”I honestly think in order to be a writer, you have to learn to be reverent. If not, why are you writing? Why are you here?” Anne Lamott’s sensitivity to both writers and the writing process is just lovely. This book was encouraging, inspiring, and hilarious. It hit so close to home for me that it made me cry about five times, which I know probably makes me one of those Obnoxious People Who Are Overly Emotional About Writing; if that’s true, so be it.

shreya2194's review against another edition

Infinitely more lovable and life-affirming than just being given five measly stars. This book reaffirms the central question: where, and what, would we be, without words? And needless to say, as a (closet) writer, I will never have an answer to that...

tenten's review

informative inspiring medium-paced

i loved this book! along with On Writing by Stephen King, this is definitely a book that i will return to time and time again as i try to push down all my anxious, self-deprecating voices so that i can write without fear.

souhaila's review against another edition

Fantastic book. I recommend this to all my creative friends, whether you're interested in writing or not, it's a great read.

howifeelaboutbooks's review against another edition

I've read this book before, I know I have, but I can't find a review I wrote about it anywhere. So I either didn't finish it or didn't review it. This time I remedied both.

Anne Lamott has a special way of writing that sounds like you're having a conversation with her… a really eloquent, thought-out conversation. She seems very approachable and realistic and doesn't make writing out to be something only the truly gifted can do. She talks about her struggles and her jealousy and her doubts and how being a published writer hasn't made her life a fairy tale, like many people might think. It was incredibly refreshing to read. It doesn't hurt that she's hilarious in a sly, dark way.

I read this book in two nights before bed, and with every page I wanted to jump up and start writing something, just to be putting words on the page. She's that good.

Some favorite quotes:
     - "One of the gifts of being a writer is that it gives you an excuse to do things, to go places and explore. Another is that writing motivates you to look closely at life as it lurches by and tramps around."
     - "Because for some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die."
     - "Think of those times when you've read prose or poetry that is presented in such a way that you have a fleeting sense of being startled by beauty or insight, by a glimpse into someone's soul. All of a sudden everything seems to fit together or at least have some meaning for a moment."

jk385506's review

funny informative reflective medium-paced

glrichard's review

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

jgolden's review

challenging emotional funny informative inspiring medium-paced