White Smoke by Tiffany D. Jackson

dissociationbybooks's review

mysterious

This is outside my usual genre, but I'll read anything by Tiffany Jackson. Once again she gives us complex characters who navigate their lives but don't always get it right right away. The characters are flawed and so real.

monicadee88's review against another edition

Meh. Definitely not the "Get Out meets The Haunting of Hill House" psychological horror I was expecting, more like the "YA meets When No One Is Watching" only not as artfully crafted. Good commentary on gentrification and the criminalization of marijuana, and I liked that the unreliable (to her family) was deeply flawed and had issues of her own. However the other characters were bland, the plot felt thin, and the surprise ending was abrupt and unsatisfying.

creolelitbelle's review

I listened to the first 44 minutes of the 9 hour audiobook, and this is my cautionary tale to myself -- when deciding against a book, do not forget about the negative reviews that caused you to steer clear. Marigold has severe anxiety about bedbugs in the beginning of the book, which I do not want to hear about. I also have no desire to hear about her fixation on weed. I appreciate mental health rep in a book, but as someone who does not experience general anxiety, I do not want to be thrown into the head of someone who is without any warning. The premise of the book says nothing about all this, which could be a draw for those who want to read it and a deterrent for those who rather not.

The blended family is done rather awkwardly as well. Piper and Alec are very much a single unit. I understand Piper acting the way she does, but Alec is an adult who does nothing (at least not in the first bit when they move into the new house) to alleviate the situation with anyone. The last 2 books by Jackson that I read were very good - The Weight of Blood & Monday's Not Coming. This one failed for me with factors that disturb me to experience.

corvingreene's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

I liked the mystery here and the blended family drama, and the twist at the end. But it ended so abruptly. I wanted to find out a bit more about what happened to certain characters.

ambreadbookss's review against another edition

This thriller follows Marigold, a Californian native, settling into her new “free” family home in Cedarville with her newly blended family. Yes, you read correctly, free. This should’ve been a red flag, when could anyone possibly move into a house FOR FREE. I mean, that’s literally too good to be true.

During the settling phase of this new home, household items begin to disappear without a trace, doors open and close on their own, paranoia starts to take place. Marigold starts researching the history of Cedarville and Maple Street, where she now resides for free. Is this new home haunted?

The scenes are cautiously detailed that I even felt the chills while reading. The ending will take you by surprise with a shock of the unsuspected.

bookishbatz's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

yourwitch_hekate's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

thebookishunicorn's review against another edition

Actual Rating 4.5 stars

This one creeped me out so bad, I had nightmares! Definitely a good read for spooky month.

mamabeardteacher's review

dark tense fast-paced

midnightgremlin's review

emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This is not your average haunted house story, it tackles so much more than simply the fear of living within the walls of home belonging to someone or something else.
I enjoyed the mental health representation of anxiety, panic attacks and obsessive compulsive behaviours attached to anxiety. The way that addiction is portrayed as well, the fact that there is a toll on both the addict/recovering addict and their close friends and family members.
My least favourite characters happened to be Alec and Piper though they both do end up somewhat redeeming themselves by the end of the story.