The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

chaosmavin's review against another edition

i am really enjoying this series. This the first book is super hard to get into...mostly because it jumps right into narrative and characters with out establishing anything with the reader..BUT if you can push through it is really great! And there is a big pay off when you realize why the narrative starts so confusing.

kateped's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

emilierw238's review

3.5 stars actually
interesting concept and reeeally good writing. the storytelling is very good. i like the 2nd person narration a lot, i love when books are written a little weird.

I probably didn't rate it very high becauseee the (kinda spoiler)
Spoiler the main character was basically the whole story's focus and she was the least interesting character D:

and also it just got boring. The first half of the book was really strong and captivating etc. but the next half was a little like.. where are we going. I felt a little like it lost its focus and some concepts weren't expanded upon well enough. it's a series yeah so ig i'd learn more if I read the rest of the series but i'm not too interested in knowing

it's also just not really my genre i guess? OH and also i accidentally spoiled probably the biggest spoiler in the book for myself so maybe that made the story a lil less interesting lol

cassidychivers's review

I have been putting off reading this for years. I'm so thankful I finally did it.

This has so many buzz words for me
- school setting
- weird ecology world
- young female mc
- brutal world
- discussion on power and how it corrupts

And I loved all of those things. This is such a unique story IMO and defs everyone should read it. I specifically loved the discussion on power and government control in this.

Why this didn't get a five star for me.
This story is written to be a mystery leading up to a big reveal. Where you learn about the world as you go. I guessed the reveal earlier so the ending felt a little anticlimactic for me. I wish we had a little bit more plot.

I also struggle with the characters a little and wanting to know more about them.

I think that book two will be a five star for me. As this almost read like a prequel to the real story to me.

See more of my thoughts in this vlog

astrlag's review

bequavious's review

Super interesting world, super interesting characters, and a break from the standard fantasy "magic person saves the world" plot line (not sure if that will come later in the series, but for this one at least that was not the arc). I love that I went into it not knowing anything about it, so I'm not going to say any more here, but go read it! It's awesome!!

sonea_moon's review

adventurous dark emotional funny inspiring mysterious sad medium-paced

arigoat's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

yuliia_trevi's review

adventurous dark hopeful medium-paced

Super entertaining couldn’t put it down! Loved the book, the characters, the world, the pain and hope and struggle.

annab23's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional medium-paced

I’d give this book six stars if I could. Unbelievably well written, challenging and incredible story telling. My heart feels heavy and I’d do it again