Parable of the Sower, by Octavia E. Butler

dionnesims's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

I finally understand why folks call Octavia Butler prophetic. What an incredible, unsettling book to read only a year before 2024, the year the book starts in. Can't recommend enough!

dexteroni's review against another edition

Engrossing, cannot believe I slept on this book so long.

carmuchisp's review against another edition

" En cuanto alguien se da cuenta de que no pasa nada por apropiarse de lo que se le antoje y destrozar el resto, quién sabe cuándo parará."
Está distopia escrita en los 90 es tan actual y cruda que asusta, el cambio climático, las drogas, crisis políticas y económicas han llevado a la sociedad al caos y a una violencia brutal e imparable, lo único importante es sobrevivir a cualquier costo.
Algo que me encanto de este libro es la diversidad de nacionalidades en los personajes, que el mundo no empieza o solo se acaba en New York, y que tampoco llega un final a partir de una sola catástrofe, sino que somos nosotros los humanos con nuestras acciones que como ahora estamos agotando cada recurso en la tierra sin pensar que llegaran a su fin.

shelf_inspiration's review against another edition

4 Stars

See more on my Bookstagram: Shelf.Inspiration Instagram

“In order to rise from its own ashes a phoenix first must burn.” - Parable of the Sower.

Lauren Olamina and her family live in one of the only safe neighborhoods remaining on the outskirts of Los Angeles. Behind the walls of their defended enclave, Lauren’s father, a preacher, and a handful of other citizens try to salvage what remains of a culture that has been destroyed by drugs, disease, war, and chronic water shortages. While her father tries to lead people on the righteous path, Lauren struggles with hyperempathy, a condition that makes her extraordinarily sensitive to the pain of others. When fire destroys their compound, Lauren’s family is killed and she is forced out into a world that is fraught with danger. With a handful of other refugees, Lauren must make her way north to safety, along the way conceiving a revolutionary idea that may mean salvation for all mankind.

This was my classic read for the month of February and I really enjoyed it! This is a dystopian story that follows Lauren and her family as they live in a dangerous new world in California. This was a tense read that got pretty graphic and anxiety producing at times. Even more so, was seeing the eerie parallels between the dystopian world in the book and the real world of today, especially about our treatment of others who are different than us in any myriad of ways. Because of this, the book felt so real and like it could be a vision of the future. Octavia E. Butler is a talented writer and weaved hard truths of racism, classism, religion, politics, familial relationships and more into the story well. I do plan to continue to read the follow up book to this story, but don’t have an exact timeframe when I will get to it.

natalieteaze's review against another edition

I understand why this book is a very powerful and important part of literary history but I did get a lil bored reading it towards the end. Most of the story of their journey got pretty repetitive for me and I didn’t find value in the new aspects being presented. I wish it was a little heavier on Earthseed and the cause of the collapse of society rather than just this groups personal journey but that’s just my opinion. Overall, a good and important read.

jordanhanley's review against another edition

Unpopular opinion, 5 stars anyway. Devastating especially bc I have extreme disrespect for organized religion and Lauren is starting her own during the death of America.

mitcheljhunter's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful informative reflective tense fast-paced

fedak's review against another edition

Less bleak than “The Road” but not by much and this clearly influenced that latter work. Much enjoyed the dystopian near future view of post climate change California.

Didn’t much care for the B story of the protagonist starting her own religion and the poetry and philosophical discussions that surrounded it.

autumnmurphy97's review against another edition