The White Rose by Amy Ewing

gabbys_library's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

lisa_sutto's review against another edition

DNF. I just couldn’t do it. The story is easy enough to pick back up, I just didn’t care about there characters or where it was going.

nicolemhewitt's review against another edition

This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

The White Rose was the second book in The Lone City series, and it sets Violet on a path toward revolution. It picks up right where the last book left off – Violet and Ash have just been caught together and Ash has been hauled off to await his execution while Violet has to deal with the Duchess (since she didn’t follow through with Lucien’s plan to fake her death). Well, of course, Lucien does his magic and gets Violet away (with Garnet’s help), but the danger doesn’t end there. Ash is now a wanted fugitive, and Violet begins to learn the mysteries of the Auguries and believe that she really can help bring down the Jewel. The question is can they do it all in time to save the people they love?

What fed my addiction:

Gender bending.
I loved the role reversal in this book. Normally, you see stories where there’s a damsel in distress who is just seen as a pretty face and can’t do much to help herself. In this book, that was Ash (well, besides the damsel part). Ash has to live with the stigma of being a companion. Many of the characters in the book don’t see him as anything else for a long time – they don’t see him having any valuable skills beyond his skills in the bedroom and his attractive physique. Add to that the fact that Ash has no Auguries, and Ash has quite a complex – he feels inadequate, useless. I loved seeing Ash gain his strength and sense of worth as the book went on.

Raven.
It turns out that Raven has some pretty interesting (and useful) side-effects from her horrible time in the Jewel. I actually thought that Raven’s powers held a lot more depth and interest than Violet’s did and I’m interested to see what happens with her in future books! (Is that a romance with Garnet I smell brewing?)

Revelations.
There are plenty of twists and turns and new revelations in book two to propel us to the next book (the final book, I assume?). And, of course, the book ends with a major revelation – I did see it coming to some extent, but it was still an exciting way to end the book!

What left me wanting more:

Slightly slow in some places.
There were times that the pacing of this book felt just a little bit slow. Perhaps a slight case of middle book syndrome, but nothing major.

This was a very solid second installment in the series, and I’m looking forward to the next book. I think that Ewing has set us up for a wild ride! I give this book 4/5 stars.

***Disclosure: This book was provided to me by Edelweiss and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***

michalice's review against another edition

The White Rose is the second book in The Lone City series. When I initially read The Jewel I did have very mixed feelings about it, and the only thing that had me wanting more was the ending. It left me needing to know what was going to happen next, for Violet, Ash, and everyone involved.

The White Rose picks up after the events of The Jewel, so we are quickly shown the consequences of Violet and Ash's actions. The beginning of The White Rose is fast paced, and leaves you unsure over what is going to happen next. It keeps you guessing, but also wanting more, to dig deeper into all of the secrets and find out the truth behind it all.

On this perilous journey, this unexpected company find themselves aided by the mysterious members of the Black Key, and avoid capture by the skin of their teeth. I really liked how the most unexpected people helped Violet, Ash, and Raven escape. The title of this book is aptly named too. When I began reading I didn't really see how the title connected with the story, but when the White Rose is revealed, along with its surprises, I was both excited and wary.

Sil is a fellow surrogate, who helps Violet learn how to use the Augeries as they were meant to be used, and I did initially dislike her for the things she says and for what she does to Violet, but as her story progressed I did slowly learn to like her. While I don't like her methods, they really do get the job done on more than one occasion.

The ending of The White Rose leaves us on another cliffhanger, and it was one I didn't expect but one I also want to be stopped. I have really enjoyed seeing the characters develop as an individual, but also in their own abilities and confidence in themselves. I loved how it was fast paced, full of risk and action, but also explained a lot of the history behind The Jewel and the Augeries. I am really looking forward to seeing how this is expanded on in the next instalment.

Final Verdict
Although The White Rose didn't blow me away, I found myself really getting into the story and enjoying this one a lot more than it's predecessor. I can't wait to see what happens next for certain characters, and I really want the plan to come into action sooner than expected to stop what is going to happen.

migimon2002's review against another edition

A solid second instalment in this series, although not quite as engaging as he first book. I liked the character development presented, and felt the true brutality of this world were emphasized. This means that, as a reader, you really root for the main characters and wish for them to build a better life. I also quite liked how certain plot developments paralleled our own history (ie. Europeans taking over lands of the First Nations)...a neat element of the story that was unexpected. On occasion I felt certain elements of the plot were too 'perfect' and lacked authenticity (such as finding the exact right person to help at the exact right moments). Overall, however, the flaws are few. The book ended with a HUGE cliffhanger, and I will gladly pick up the third book upon its release.

naomiiixo's review against another edition

That ending?! She stole violets sister??? Bitch is gonna pay for that

eve233456's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

blahnanas's review

fast-paced

rikerandom's review against another edition

Was ein ätzendes Ende... Und ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob mir die Entwicklung der Story so richtig gut gefällt.

paginasdealex's review against another edition

Vamos a dejar muy claro esto. Este libro sufre del sindrome del libro de en medio... pero aún así consiguió mantener mi interés hasta la última página.
Escribiré más en un futuro, pero si les gustó La Joya este libro sin lugar a dudas es una excelente secuela.