The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi

hijinks's review

adventurous funny lighthearted tense fast-paced

sunscour's review against another edition

Just what I needed, light and fluffy. While Jamie was an awesome character, and I would defiantly hang out with her, my favorite character was Martin Satie... I just needed to read a book that wasn't too serious, but was action packed and had an ending that made me feel good.

tomasthanes's review against another edition

I think my first response to the title of this book is to equate "Kaiju" with the creatures in the "Pacific Rim" movies which is probably not a stretch. You leave our Earth for a parallel "Kaiju Earth" through a portal created by vast amounts of energy and radiation. Once there, it's like every predator is cranked up to 11 on methamphetamine.

It was a good story (good enough that I wish there were a sequel but the author is successful enough (for obvious reasons) that he can write whatever he wants to - I'll read it). The characters are plausible. The protagonist, Jamie Gray, is unassuming enough at the beginning ("I lift things") but by the time that you're at the end of the book, he's competent in many different areas. It's interesting that as he goes to work for the Kaiju Preservation Society, they never really tell him the full story until he's standing there on "Kaiju Earth" seeing these huge mountains of creatures (because just saying it out loud would not be enough - you have to see in order to believe).

Lots of nice little references to other parts of Sci-Fi and technology (Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash"), crawling inside of a tauntaun on Hoth to survive the cold, copying movie files from storage brought with you to the "community Plex server", etc.). Lots of Japanese words (an homage to the original Godzilla). Lots of the story revolved around pheromones (which made lots of scents).

Biological nuclear reactors. Well, why not?

The Kaiju were a nice ecosystem of themselves and their parasites (which both fed near the kaiju as well as being part of the aeration/cooling system for the kaiju).

The author made a huge point of saying that the biology of the kaiju was very different from creatures on our Earth yet the reproduction seemed similar. A male kaiju impregnating a female kaiju who began laying millions of fertilized eggs in a nutrient-dense natal jelly (all words directly from the book but in a different order). That didn't seem very different.

I also liked the Ancient and Sacred Orders made up on the spot to celebrate someone's exceptional act.

Oh, and it realistically referenced the COVID-19 pandemic, masks and all.

slowpoke's review against another edition

4.5 stars

kaileannventures's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

Such a fun read! Dialogue was full of quips between characters, plot was smooth, easy to suspend belief and move through the story.

yarn_chicken's review

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

chelsholt03's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

matts_digest's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

j_cubdavis's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

A fun romp of a book with sometimes insufferably self-aware dialogue. This complaint was well worth enduring for what is otherwise a grounded tale about communities and ecosystems, and our responsibility to both.

mishellsch's review against another edition

adventurous funny

Funny, quippy adventure story about a normal guy finding himself working on another planet filled with kaiju. Was it the same tone as Starter Villain? Yes. Was it the trope of new guy coming in and saving the day from skilled experts? Yes. But Wil Wheaton is still an entertaining audiobook narrator.