Year of the Reaper by Makiia Lucier

mikaelaandherbooks's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

I loved this book! Year of the Reaper was such a fun story and I loved Makiia Lucier's writing which pulled me straight into the story and had me hooked from start to end. Outside of one character's supernatural/paranormal-esque powers, there was not a lot of fantasy to this story. It was much more of a mystery, historical fiction story and I really enjoyed the reference to the Black Death (plague) and Princess Joan's story. I am so excited now to read more by this author and see what other stories she has written!

trashroyal's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

becca5741's review

adventurous mysterious relaxing medium-paced

goatsinspace's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

Our story involves a kingdom ravaged by plague and political strife.

Cas returns home three years after the devastating plague swept through the land. He has been secretly imprisoned in a neighboring kingdom; events that threaten the tentative peace between the two due to his noble status. He returns to find that his once-familiar castle is now a refuge for the royal court. When an assassin targets the queen’s newborn child and closest confidants, Cas finds himself drawn into an investigation alongside Lena, a brilliant young historian and of royal stock herself. Together, they must unravel the mystery of the attacks and confront a secret from the past that threatens to shatter the kingdom's fragile peace.

I found Year of the Reaper to be an engaging and enjoyable read, although it leans slightly towards a younger audience than my usual preference. The characters are well-developed, with Cas and Lena standing out as a dynamic duo whose bond and meet-cute made me smile. The mystery at the heart of the story is compelling, and I was genuinely surprised by the twists and secrets, which made for a thrilling read. The inclusion of Cas’s spirit-seeing powers and the subtle romantic elements enrich the story considerably.

However, I would caution against listening to the audiobook version. The narrator's cheerful tone tends to undermine the gravity of the story's darker moments and diminish their impact. This contrast made it challenging for me to fully immerse myself in the narrative when listening, so I opted to only read the book instead of tandem listening.

This is a well-crafted story that blends historical fantasy with mystery and a touch of romance. I buddy-read this with Kris (@smash_or_passbooks on booksta - go give her a follow) and it was fun discussing things. Thank you for the gifted copy!

noorandbooks's review

He was trying. She was trying. In the end, they could do no more.
A captivating story, from start to end. Although the ending may have been rushed, it doesn't bother me too much as it is a stand-alone, rare for the genre. But I will say I was a bit sad to find that Cas's supernatural ability was never fully explored... Would've made for something cool!

But. I was too enthralled with Cas and the world to care. CAS AND HIS BROTHER! I haven't cared so deeply for siblings in a long time. None of the platonic relationships were treated as less than the romantic ones, and it meant SO much to me. Not to say Cas and Lena's dynamic didn't have me kicking and squealing.

In the end, this is a story of people, and the people are written so beautifully.
Cas agreed. "It's humiliating."

The drumming stopped. Dryly, Ventillas said, "Yes, that too. Thank you for pointing it out, little brother."

natasham1's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

an absolutely wonderful read. I wish i could spend a million years in this world. if political intrigue is something that tickles your fancy then I highly recommend this novel!!

lucybmn's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious fast-paced

I enjoyed this!

My prevailing thought about it is that, predictably, I wanted MORE. I really liked the characters, and the story was intriguing. But, being the epic fantasy girlie that I am, I would have LOVED this if it went so, so much deeper. Give me at least 3 books with multiple POVs and deep character studies, and the same plot from several different angles. Many fantasy standalones don't quite work for me, for precisely this reason. Sigh.

And this story in particular contains real potential for diving much deeper. There were so many ideas introduced that are so interesting, but never really went anywhere. And the whole mystery plot zoomed by, blink and you'll miss it. (Gotta say, though, I did NOT see the twist coming.)

BUT I do think it works well as a fast-paced fantasy read with good themes for young teens (at times, it felt almost middle-grade), and as a good palate cleanser for adults.

jenna310's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective

I loved the vibes of this book! There are a few things that I wish had been fleshed out a bit more, but overall I enjoyed the story.

marie_ix's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

jodie34's review

adventurous emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

Absolutely loved this book so so much. It hit me in the feels quite a lot but it is brilliant.