The Women Could Fly by Megan Giddings

libby02's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

fiona_callinan's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

nataroni3's review

emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

ninawilson49's review against another edition

mysterious sad fast-paced

This book had a lot of potential and I liked the writing, but the story unfortunately fell short. The witchery was a bit one note and I think I was always waiting for the wow factor.

moon_bean77's review against another edition

I was really looking forward to this book, but Iā€™m just not feeling it šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø Has girlboss vibes.

sassmaster14000's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

sarahbird107's review against another edition

Soft DNF - I could see myself returning to this. I think this would be better read than listened to (even though the audiobook narrator was genuinely great)

has_book_will_travel's review

emotional reflective sad tense

marci_travels's review against another edition

challenging dark sad slow-paced

This book is an earnest and critical allegory about a dystopian future hurtling towards us. The first chapter is so compelling and so well-written, I immediately moved it to the top of my reading as soon as I brought it home.
Josephine Thomas is 28 years old and single - a combination which does not sit well with the society she resides in. She either needs to get married or register with the government so they can track her activities, her friends, curtail her job, and turn over her money to a man willing to be responsible for her. It sounds like the horror stories my great aunties would tell about the 50s and 60s: a women's paycheck could be picked up by her father, husband, or brother without any recourse if he happened to be the town drunk or irresponsible, farms and businesses couldn't be inherited by daughters only, but the spouse could bleed it dry, women couldn't get a mortgage or credit card in their own name until 1979. It's stories like these and books like this one, and When Women were Dragons (Kelly Barnhill) that make me realize how much we are on a collision course with this same circumscribed life.
My only criticism is there is a sense of menace or violence with every male interaction, and I began to wish for some positive male female behavior that didn't include sex.