Reviews tagging Alcoholism

One Of Us Is Lying, by Karen M. McManus

louisesmith's review

emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

Two words, CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. The development in all of the characters - especially Bronwyn and Addy was not only much needed but also well done. They both became much more interesting characters and I liked the leader role that Addy had at the ending. I absolutely loved Nate, he gave me wattpad badboy vibes which suited his character so well. I loved how this novel highlighted the way that tragedy brings people together and that is exactly what it did with the Bayview Four. I liked all the creative ways that things were revealed bit by bit to the reader and the characters at the same time. The lawyers frustrated the heck out of me but that did make it more intriguing.  <I kept waiting for a huge plot twist and for one of the four to have fooled me the entire book but it never happened. However I wasn't actually disappointed by the real killed because I still never saw it coming until Kris pointed it out I felt that the book could have been longer had certain things been expanded on more but it also was not really necessary for a relatively fast paced book. It was a great read and I would definitely be recommending. I'm hoping that One of Us is Next is going to live up to the same standards.

phantomgecko's review

mysterious fast-paced

Yeah, there's a lot of dumb teenage drama. But at least the characters get better instead of worse, as sometimes happens. Also a murder mystery. This book was hard to put down. Some things I suspected, others were surprising. A delight.

sofieerikaterp's review

mysterious tense medium-paced

ismchv's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

bookbitch111's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

mars1111's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

The book is a good but you can kinda figure out the plot. Overall the book is great for someone who likes mistery, crimes and solving puzzles.

kristyndcruz's review

dark mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

I really enjoyed this book. Many reviews said that the plot twist and the ending were predictable, but I never expected it. I did like the plot twist when the mystery was unravelled, I also really loved the plot twists along the way. I think it was also really well written, and I loved how things slowly started to unravel and secrets became exposed. The mystery was the main focus of the story, but I also enjoyed the romance aspect between Nate and Bronwyn. I think they were really cute. While all characters were not exactly all loveable and great people, I loved their complex storyline for each character and their character development at the end of the book. I also liked the relation to The Breakfast Club at the beginning with the stereotypical high schoolers in detention, along with the Pretty Little Liars aspect at the end of the book. I do highly recommend this book, as even though the ending may be predictable for some, the story to get there is exciting and fun to read.
“Things’ll get worse before they get better”
“I don't know why it's so hard for people to admit that sometimes they're just assholes who screw up because they don't expect to get caught”

hayleyw's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

sharlapeggy's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

t4vs's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

(N) one of us is lying.

I'm going to be honest: i was giving nothing to this book. Seriously, by the first chapter i only thought it would be a teen cliche and done, two or maybe three stars, and NEXT!

It looks like a cliche. It really does. Like, all the stereotypes that you see in movies are there. But in a point of the story they turn out to be kinda complex and not just the nerd, or the athlete, or the prom princess.

And the mystery is good. Did i guessed who it was? Yes. (I am so happy i almost never can guess) But still, it is unexpected, for me at least.

Good teen thriller. Better than i would ever expect by reading the sinopysis.