Seeker, by Arwen Elys Dayton

maidmarianlib's review against another edition

Very interesting world, leaves a lot of background and connections out, but is action packed and makes you want to read more.

horrorvacio's review against another edition

Sigo sin saber que es un seeker y para que sirve xddd

veronica_2005's review

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

0.5

predro's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

manoncremers's review against another edition

DNF at 30 %

I have too many motives to quit reading. They range from unbelievable and cringe-worthy romance to a total lack of world building, along with little to none explications of terms. This book wasn't what I first expected it to be, and even managed to disappoint me on several levels. What could have been a great novel, turned out to be one I'd rather forget.

ladygaga's review

dark medium-paced
Oh man, where do I even start?

I think this is possibly one of the worst books I have ever read. Let's take this one at a time:

Worldbuilding - A poorly drawn map with little dots and labels isn't going to cut it if you do not take any extra time to explain the world. Characters were using modes of transportation or going places that were either never explained or explained after they had been used/gone to that location several times. Nothing was descriptive, and the world was completely unimaginative.

Characters - It has been a while since I have read a book where I do not fall in love or feel any sort of possessive feelings about any of the characters in a novel, but this is 0ne of the first times I have strongly disliked every single character despite the author's attempt to make them appeal to the readers. All of them had very little personality, and what personality that they did show throughout the novel was odd and poorly developed. Shinobu has this weird fascination with his cousin that he refuses to drop even though he recognizes that it is incest, Quin loses all of her memories with her only explanation being "the past is the past so I am just going to completely forget anyone and everything that I have done in the last decade of my life," and John is literally just a manipulative piece of crap that likes to peek under Quin's clothes when she is not all with it. Seriously, what a piece of garbage. Ew. Also, half of the titles were never explained or were glossed over quickly, and that is pretty important for a fantasy novel since things like "Dreads" are not common titles in real life.

Dialogue - I think I laughed every time someone spoke in the novel. The grammar in Seeker made every line of dialogue seem out of place and did not align with what little personality the characters had. Half of it added nothing to the development of the plot or characters, and it distracted more than anything else.

If you pick up this book and you do not like the beginning of it, do NOT try to push through like I did. You will be wasting your time; there are so many other interesting novels with better characters and worlds to read about. There is so much more I could write about this book, but I have already wasted enough of my time fixated on how awful it is. Trust me--it doesn't get better.

debookgeek's review against another edition

Oh my gods, this book was SO good! I need Traveler right now. Aaaargh! Why can't books just appear when you want them?!

Yes, there is a love triangle in this book/series. I actually hate love triangles. They're horrible when the girl (it's usually a girl!) chooses the guy you don't like over the guy you do like. An example? The love triangle from the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare.
So it surprised me when I realized I did liked this love triangle. In a bad way.
I ship Quin and Shinobu. John? No. Definitely no. And I enjoyed the jealousy John felt when he thought about Quin and Shinobu together. It was amazing! Oh, sorry. I'm sure the Sorting hat is thinking that he put me in the wrong house. Maybe I had to go to Slytherin instead of Ravenclaw. Maybe...

Where can I compate this book to? People are comparing it to Legend, by Marie Lu, Divergent, by Veronica Roth and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I have not read Legend yet, but I can tell you that Seeker is nothing like Divergent and The Hunger Games. Seeker has it's own story. Where do I compare it to? It's kind of like Endgame by James Fray. Kind of. Kind of like The Illuminati (do you spell it like this?). It is impossible to compare it to another book and why do people need to compare books anyway?

I don't know why, but I thought this book took place in a medieval setting. Well, it wasn't. It was kind of futuristic. When I read there were phones and cars and stuff like that, I was like: huh?

Favorite characters? Quin and Shinobu.
Why Quin? Quin is cool. She wanted to forget her old life and start a new one. She did. But then, one year and a half later, she discovers it is impossible to forget everything and everyone she knew.
Why Shinobu? Shinobu wanted to start a new life too. But in a different way. Using opium (Is that how it's called in English? I read the book in Dutch) and jumping off high buildings and bridges. Kind of like Noah from I'll give you the sun.
His love for Quin! And ofcourse, his heritage. As a "halfblood" myself... Well, I love characters with a Europian/American father and an Asian mother. Examples? Park from Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. His mother is Korean. His father American.
Shinobu is half Scottish half Japanese. I'm half Dutch half Taiwanese. It's nearly the same. Maybe I love halfblood characters because I kind of understand them?

Least favorite character? John. In the beginning, he was kind of cool, but later in the story I had the feeling he was kind of crazy. He kept looking for an athame and still thought that Quin loved him. He turned EVIL.

*SPOILER* *SPOILER* *SPOILER* *SPOILER*

Favorite scene? This is not going to be spoiler free, so if you have not read this book, don't read the next sentence. My favorite scenes are when Quin and Shinobu (What is their shipping name!?) nearly kiss and kiss. Yeah, it's weird to have these parts in the book as your favorite parts, but it was like: Look Shinobu! Don't commit suicide! You have someone that loves you! And it's no ordinary girl, no, it's Quin! Hehe. I re-read those scenes. Hehe.

athomewithabook's review

mysterious medium-paced

frostbitsky's review against another edition

I picked up an ARC of Seeker from NYCC. It was an enjoyable read. The world building was well done. It is very much secluded to their world though. I often wondered if the consequences of the Seekers' actions in the world would come back and have a bigger impact on the whole of the story. It was briefly mentioned in passing, but this is the first book of a series and so it is possible that we'll see the repercussions of that night on global scale.

The start to developing the characters was good. They have a mix of strength, determination and flaws. You certainly understand their motivations. I liked that it was told from different point of views. I must say though that that love triangle was weak, especially on Quin's part. Some of her feelings came on too suddenly.
Maud was my favorite character. I found her and her history to be the most interesting of all.

It is described as "For readers of A Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games comes an epic new series." It is a very tame GoT (the PG-13 version).

The action was good, however, some parts lacked suspense. I put the book down for a week around the beginning of part three. Also, and maybe it's not fair to judge too harshly since it is an ARC, but it did get repetitive about the time jump. It got to a point where I would think to myself how many times in a chapter will we be reminded that some time has past? I lost count.

Although I lost some motivation to continue reading, I did finish and it has interested me enough to see what the next book brings to the story.

3 out 5 athames

alyssa_reads_it_all's review

I always worry when new books are compared to bestsellers with a cult-like following. After all, shouldn't writers strive to find their own voices and be proud of them? So when I saw a blurb comparing Arwen Elys Dayton's newest book Seeker to Game of Thrones, The Hunger Games, and Divergent, I had the sinking sensation that a lot of readers would be disappointed by the literary world's version of false advertisement. Comparisons like these tend to make readers form preconceived notions about what they're about to read.

I start reading each and every book with an open mind and try to review accordingly. Unfortunately, there were too many flaws for me to overlook, and as a result I've stopped reading Seeker midway.

The story started out strong and captivating. I wanted to know more about the three young warriors and their quest to become seekers. The problem is, I was halfway through the book and still didn't know what a seeker was. Or what time period the story was set in. And while the characters started off strong, they became more shallow and unbelievable with every new page. Their relationships to one another felt forced. As I read farther, things just stopped fitting together. There were too many unanswered questions, and while I'd like to believe that the ending ties up some loose ends, I was too frustrated to try and get there.

I loved the concept of Seeker, but this just didn't work for me.