The Poet X, by Elizabeth Acevedo

writermaguire's review against another edition

challenging emotional inspiring sad fast-paced

kamna's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

lgeezy's review

emotional fast-paced

Beautiful prose and audio narration  by the author. I admit I wasn’t in the right headspace for a YA coming of age tale as I continued listening but the poetry/narration kept me going.

jnfilippelli's review against another edition

Many authors choose to tell their stories in verse, but none have the intensity and emotion of Acevedo. Powerful story of a young poet who tries to find her own identity after being told she is so many other things. Strong messages about feminism, family, and the power of words.

booklistqueen's review against another edition

Xiomara Batista feels trapped and confused as she grows into adulthood. Instead of letting her fists fly, Xiomara begins to record her thoughts into a little leather notebook. When she is invited to join her school's poetry club, she realizes the power in expressing her own emotions even if against her family's approval. Acevedo brilliantly narrates the turmoil of a young woman straining to push past her parent's expectations and the world's assumptions to find who she really is. Not being a fan of poetry, Acevedo's audiobook narration made this novel told in verse even more powerful.

samanthas_books's review against another edition

Wow I loved this! It was so beautiful and covered so many important topics. I cannot believe it's taken me this long to pick up one of Acevedo's books, but I will be reading all of them as soon as possible because I need more! This was my first novel in verse and it was such a beautiful and powerful format. I loved reading from Xiomara's perspective. I just loved this.

CW: sexism, slut-shaming, homophobia, abuse, sexual harassment

mostsoftly's review against another edition

"There is power in the word."

alliereadsalot's review against another edition

So glad i finally picked this up...definitely suggest listening to it on audio since its narrated by the author

blaackstones's review

emotional inspiring

this book was amazing and so beautifully written

beansbooksandbiology's review against another edition

If I could give this 100 stars I would and it would be deserving of all of them.