One of Us Is Next, by Karen M. McManus

imiagcs's review against another edition

mysterious fast-paced

brebowles630's review

4.5 stars. OMG! I had a feeling about the 2/3 people involved! This book gave me second-hand embarrassment, and made me anxious for the characters. I’m so glad my high school experience was nothing like this. I love how we got the same characters and were introduced to new ones. I love Maeve and Luis. I love that Bronwyn and Nate worked out, they are definitely endgame. This was great!

mardal's review

Spoiler

I think I've settled these are all just solid YA novels. Nothing too crazy, but some solid entertainment. This time it's a game of truth or dare. Unlike the first book where there was a bit of a crazy twist with who 'murdered' Simon, this time it's less of a twist (well I guess at the very end when you find out what your siblings are willing to do for you) and more of not dealing with emotions in a proper way. A high schooler ends of dying because of what seems like an accident during one of the dares. It turns out it wasn't an accident. This was a result of a understandably emotional teenager upset finding a friend online. We fake these personas online, though, what happens when we send out something we don't really mean; it just highlights the danger of even jokingly or sarcastically saying you want somebody dead. This was just a case of not dealing with very real emotions and this obviously being a very extreme case. I enjoyed the characters, all dealing with high school things.

asiya_lovebug's review against another edition

emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

brennieree33's review against another edition

HOLY CRAP THAT TOOK A TURN. I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING.

I loved every second of this. I read it in two days. It kept me on the edge of my seat and always guessing. I loved the narrator who did Phoebe's chapters, her voice was so soothing. But also, thinking back on events, everything makes sense with our villians.

We also see a return of our main cast from the last book, although in a smaller role.

Spoiler
-HOLY FUCK IT WAS OWEN AND EMMA!!!????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? I soooooooo did not see that coming. I kind of suspected Emma, but definitely did not see Owen coming. Damn.
-McManus has mastered Chekov's gun. The case of Jared's brother being something Eli's firm was covering, the talk of the font before the note, 'bazaar,' Emma being so angry at the mention of Brandon, etc. So well set up. I loved it.
-I forgot how much I loved Bronwyn and Nate. They're so cute. Also, Addie is much better in this book.
-Maeve and Louis are cute, but I think Phoebe and Knox were my fav shipping, despite Knox probably being my least favortite character. However, Phoebe was my favorite, so that probably plays in.
-How sad to be unknowlingly hooking up with the guy who killed your dad
-I wish that there was some sort of acknowledgement that Emma and Phoebe did the same thing that Brandon's parents did in protecting Owen, but that also was a hell of a note to end on
-One of my favorite quotes: "I'll cut [class]! Phoebe showed me how!" - Knox. That's fucking hilarious

~312 pages
TW: blood, mentions of death, grief, alcoholism, seizures, vomit, cheating, death threats, explosions, hospitals
Rep: Spanish-speaking families, gay

an_drea's review against another edition

emotional mysterious medium-paced

violet20225's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

sophia_she1's review

aoooo good for a sequel i loved it sm

juliamaierhofer628's review

adventurous funny

luciiee's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced