One of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManus

jnobrien21's review against another edition

fast-paced

Good mystery but a lot of Bayview to read back to back with the first book.

soup_dogg's review

2.75 stars

Not as good as one of us is lying. Character development is pretty shit tho.

anika05's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

naemi's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

annebaungaard's review

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense medium-paced

suvata's review against another edition

#StoryGraph: fiction contemporary thriller young adult mysterious tense
374 pages • first pub 2020 • 3 Stars

This young adult thriller novel is the sequel to One of Us Is Lying. The novel follows three Bayview High students—Maeve Rojas, Knox Myers, and Phoebe Lawton—as an anonymous tester begins a game of truth or dare that has fatal consequences. The story is set 18 months after the events of the first book.

DESCRIPTION

The highly anticipated, #1 New York Times bestselling sequel to One of Us Is Lying! There’s a new mystery to solve at Bayview High, and there’s a whole new set of rules.

Come on, Bayview, you know you’ve missed this.

A ton of copycat gossip apps have popped up since Simon died, but in the year since the Bayview four were cleared of his shocking death, no one’s been able to fill the gossip void quite like he could. The problem is no one has the facts.

Until now.

This time it’s not an app, though—it’s a game.

Truth or Dare.

Phoebe‘s the first target. If you choose not to play, it’s a truth. And hers is dark.

Then comes Maeve and she should know better—always choose the dare.

But by the time Knox is about to be tagged, things have gotten dangerous. The dares have become deadly, and if Maeve learned anything from Bronwyn last year, it’s that they can’t count on the police for help. Or protection.

Simon’s gone, but someone’s determined to keep his legacy at Bayview High alive. And this time, there’s a whole new set of rules.

abby07's review

Really amazing, every little detail throughout the book came together perfectly at the end. The author was also very good at introducing the new main characters while also keeping the old characters in the loop. Really just an amazing book.

_daisyreadsbooks_'s review

It’s been a while since I read One of Us is Lying and I put off reading this book for a while too, but I thought it’d be fun to return to the chaotic insanity that was Bayview, and more specifically Bayview High School. I still think the first book takes the cake for being the best twist, and one I didn’t see coming, even though it made perfect sense once it was revealed. Still, this book was sure an adventure.

I had a bunch of theories about what was going on, and the one person I suspected almost immediately after Brandon died accidentally at the construction site supposedly, was Phoebe. I figured she had to have something to do with it since she more motive then anyone since he mercilessly made fun of her and her friends, and even tried to force himself on her. Given what Phoebe is like though, was it a strong motive to end his life? Maybe not, but once I heard about Brandon being responsible for her dad’s death, I was so sure that while I questioned why Emma after she nearly drank herself to death, I was to set on Phoebe being the number one person behind this.

You might not believe me on this, but a was suspicious of Owen for a fleeting second after Knox went to play Bounty Wars with him and told Phoebe,
“You know, in the game, there are creative ways to kill people.” I started thinking about how it’s weird that’s all he ever seems to play, and thought he had the potential of being an evil mastermind of some sort. That’s kind of as far as it went, and I totally didn’t expect that my fleeting thought would be on the right track.

This was a good read. No pun intended. Not as great as the first book in my opinion, but it was fun trying to piece the mystery together.

snippie99's review against another edition

I really liked this sequel and seeing the characters from the last book back but also following a new group of characters. The twists got me and I will read the next book.