One of Us Is Next, by Karen M. McManus

luclicious's review against another edition

The sequel to a great murder mystery. A couple of friends and I buddy read the first book and when this second one came out; we couldn’t wait to read it together.

The book takes place 18 months after the events of the first book. We follow 3 different main characters. The sister of Bronwyn, Meave. Her best friend who she also dated Knox and Phoebe who is a waiter at the local restaurant. They’re all juniors of the Baywinn High School and after things settle down after the whole Simon affair things are pretty quiet. That’s until someone new steps up and introduces a new type of game in school. Truth or dare, Truth and one of your most revealing secrets gets out, dare and you have to fulfill an assignment. Who is behind all this and what are the connections after a dare turns deathly?

I enjoyed myself. This is a very easy and entertaining read. I enjoyed the first book and really liked how the plot twist was thought out. I was expecting the same twists and well thought out plots that all come together in the end. The author didn’t let me down. She writes characters that are very different from one another with enough backstory to relate to them. All of them were pretty likeable and had somewhat of flaws that were interesting. The way the characters are written made it hard for me to picture any of them being the master mind. That’s way in the second half when the plot suddenly gets switched to “is it one of the three?” I did not really believe it. The side characters were a lot of fun. The main selling point of a book like this is figuring out who is behind it all. In my opinion the side characters are what really selling that. You constantly have to think if this or that person is involved. The ending was well done. It wasn’t the plot twist that I was expecting as I had figured it out about halfway through. The twist after that was very well done and I could not believe what had happened in a good way.

If you enjoyed the first book, I can’t recommend this enough. It’s fun to spend time with familiar characters and discover who’s behind the deathly game.

pryakrsna's review against another edition

4/5
Honestly, I liked this book more than the first one. It got me hooked in for every chapter but it was slow at the beginning and i really don’t like slow burns:/ I was not expecting all the twists and turns. The thrill was great and the plot twist at the end! i can't wait for the 3rd book.

hannahbeardsworth's review against another edition

fast-paced

myka's review

mysterious medium-paced

chloen_25's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

adrielj's review

Not much crime going on, a little too much love romantic subplots for my taste, and the closure seems rather bazaar...oh I meant, bizarre.

It's still fast-paced, tho, and I like how the high school students' life is so relatable in this book. Family drama is also convincing and good, for all it matters. That gossip thing and how the characters' life intertwined with one another.

It's just, in the first Bayview mystery, it's about the mystery. Now, it seems shallow and petty, the said vengeance. I remember the first book gives Nate & Bronwyn's relationship as something cute, but here Maeve and Luis's relationship is more like one of those insta-love tropes I can live without.

And I think Karen is relying too much on her successful Bayview Four. I care more about Nate than any other boys / characters in this book. Not a bad sequel but unnecessary, nonetheless.

almbrown's review against another edition

I liked this one better than the first book! I found the situations and relationships to be more believable than the ones in One of Us is Lying. Plus, the twist at the end was DARK and way more intense than I expected from a fun YA novel, and I liked it!

eairwin's review

I bit of a predictable resolution. And, unlike the previous book, I wasn't charmed by the characters and their development nearly as much.

valenramunno's review

funny mysterious medium-paced

dasha72004's review

Last book in my McManus marathon. Solid!