Followers, by Megan Angelo

mymindspeaksbooks's review against another edition

A classic example of: love the premise, bad execution. I only got 100 pages into this book but it felt like I’d read about 500 - that’s how much everything was drawn out. There was just no excitement or feeling to any of it. And, to be honest, I just got bored.

The ideas were interesting, don’t get me wrong, but it was nothing I’d never contemplated before after watching shows like Black Mirror.

So, whilst it may be enjoyable to some, it wasn’t my cup of tea.

abigpigeon's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

apiep97's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

A dystopian and cautionary tale. Reminded me of a Black Mirror episode.

carolinecoyle94's review against another edition

The concept of this book is very cool. While the idea js current and timely, I was disappointed in the end. There was a lot of extra wordiness that didn’t add to the story, and I feel like after the climax of the book it just faded when I would have been interested to see it continue.

readbookswithbecca's review

Overall, it was an interesting concept. Something was off to me though and I can't quite figure it out.

rachelsherouse's review against another edition

Followers gave me some seriously creepy and unsettling feelings. It's a novel told from various points of view across two timelines: one group of characters lives in New York City in the year 2015, and the other group lives in a futuristic planned community monitored by cameras and streamed to the rest of America in 2051. Think Big Brother live, 23 hours a day, for a person's entire life…oh plus product placements. Around 2016, there is something called the "spill" that happens and changes the nature of the internet and social media forever. The author does a great job of building suspense and confusion around what happens to our main characters, and how they are all intertwined.

I really enjoyed this book. It was great to be grounded in the familiar 2015 setting, with vapid social media stars, reality TV, and all the creature comforts we all know (or at least we knew until our current pandemic). Then in 2051, it was fascinating to be thrust into a world that is similar, but completely different to our own. Followers made me think about my use of social media, aimless scrolling, and the way I present myself to the world.

This book is an engaging read, and I will recommend it to my friends and others. It is a bit unsettling with "end of the world" undertones which might give a lot of us anxiety right now as we continue to ride out COVID-19 in our isolated homes (at least that is what I am doing, and I hope you are all doing the same). But if you can stomach those feelings, please give this book a try.

artsymusings's review

'The people who had been known as good—they were the ones who, frequently, could not survive their own bad.'

Followers totally started out like something straight out of a Black Mirror episode but then it turned into something so much more. It's essentially about one messed up friendship as well as a story about motherhood set in a fucked up future that I would not want happening ever. The social commentary on privacy and social media is all so well-said and like, we live like this (?) but at least we don't live like the people in the book ahdklsjd

I really don't want to say more than this about it because discovering it myself was a hell of a ride and that's the way this well-written book should be read. Also, I did not see the plot twists coming and it totally made me cry towards the end

marieakeith's review against another edition

Brilliant satire. If you loved The Importance of Being Earnest in high school and currently follow more influencers on social media than you care to admit, this novel is for you. It’s fast paced, funny, and scary realistic. I will definitely be talking about this book for months, if not years to come.

kdtoverbooked's review against another edition

I enjoyed this split timeline book about social media and what people will do to feel special or famous. I was pleased when the characters from the timelines began to merge because it makes the 2016 storyline even richer. If you are looking for a dystopian book that doesn’t go overly dramatic and feels like it’s somewhat imaginable than this might just fit the bill! 3.5 stars for me.

pharmdad2007's review against another edition

Extremely asinine, petty vision of a dystopian future. None of the characters are likable, which makes it hard to enjoy.