Dubliners, by James Joyce

idrees2022's review

Until now the short story hasn't appealed to much as a literary form. But the sheer vision, craft and artistry of Dubliners has forced me to revise my view. Each story in this collection is as near perfection as one imagines a work of art to be. Like Tolstoy at his best, there is a certain harshness to its realism. There is no sentimentality or hyperbole in its tightly plotted vignettes of fin-de-siecle Dublin life. Its understated irony is placed in sharp relief by a prose which is lean and precise. It is also clear that Joyce had major influence on the short story as it was developed by Hemingway. All in all, a truly delightful read.

spacestationtrustfund's review against another edition

Important book? Yes. Good book? Well.

tinito's review against another edition

A decent collection of short stories. As always some were better than others. I liked A Painful Case the best. 3 stars overall.

lizzygreene's review

reflective slow-paced

naimfrewat's review

for sure I loved The Dead and An Encounter, the rest were ok, but some I couldn't finish at all...

chairmanbernanke's review against another edition

Joyce remains even now an excellent author, with an unparalleled capacity for insight into the human experience.

skeltzer's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

alicemelvin's review

dark reflective medium-paced

habelhamessafaa's review

this collection of short stories was quite short. i didn't like it that much, yet i enjoyed it nonetheless. the variation in societies is unique, and i find the dublin society to be as any other small one: varried. although some parts in me believe that Joyce tried to convey his own beliefs through some stories and being a dubliner himself didn't affect the content of this book: Dubliners.

shrai's review

I was going to give this a 4/5 at first, as there were some stories that really didn't get to me at all, three or four. The ones that did, however, hit me very hard. All in their own way they moved me deeply, the direction in which not even mattering.
Then I read the last story, by far the longest, The Dead. Incredible, especially the closing part. Not for a long while have I felt such emotion from a piece of art.

Other writers and books seem inadequate after the way James Joyce uses words and strings together sentences. I am both scared as well as excited to read more works by him.