Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling

lucyw_12's review against another edition

(5/5)
This was amazing! I loved the last chapter and the way it made everything from earlier make sense! I love when each moment has a purpose in a book and in the two HP books I’ve read so far that has definitely been the case. The page count is about to ramp up per book so I hope this trend continues even in the larger books. Ron’s distress over Hermione was adorable I love that the seeds of their relationship are already being laid as well as Ginny and Harry’s relationship hints. Loved it. Draco was more likeable in this one in the sense that he was naive rather than evil, although I’m mad at him for giving Ginny the diary. Overall I still dislike Draco a lot and he will have to really transform before I can love him like some HP fans do. I don’t love Snape yet either although I don’t dislike him like I dislike Draco. I want to love Dumbledore but I know he does wrong later in the series so I have a barrier up, but so far I do like him. But Hagrid is my favourite yet again. Hagrid is the greatest, no need to explain. (I also love Fluffy) Dobby was less likeable in the book than I remember him being in the movie, though I really felt for him in the last chapter when he gets the sock

andreapoulain's review against another edition

Lo recordaba como un libro masomenos, pero Tom Riddle me tiró los calzones. MALDITA SEA, ANDREA, YA DEJA DE QUERER A LOS VILLANOS, POR FAVOR.

lilyke's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious tense

booksontheknightbus's review against another edition

“Of all the trees we could've hit, we had to get one that hits back.”

Ahhhh I've finished my re-read of Hp and the Chamber of Secrets for #ReadingOntheKnightBus2020. It's quite hard to review a book you've read many times since childhood. I always feel as though I couldn't do it justice. I still think that this is my least favorite of the series but still enjoyable. It introduces us to new characters and new creatures. The world building continues to be exceptional. I think the reason this one continues to be my least favorite of the series is that JK Rowling created some really annoying characters in this one cough cough Lockhart. I'm no bully but someone could use some swirly's in the loo. I also hated the basilisk but that's because it's a snake and anybody who knows me, knows that those are my biggest fear. Enjoyably though is the fact that the villain in the story is different yet not so different (being vague as to avoid spoilers) than the rest of the story. It makes it unique.

Does anybody ever get annoyed with Harry and Ron when they take the car from the train station? I always catch myself thinking why don't they just use an owl to ask for help or do this, this and this. The book explains their actions so much better than the movie does. It's like I'm having a Hermione moment and I'm berating Ron and Harry.

I will continue to adore this series and hope that next time I write down my thoughts when reading this so I have actual things to write about.

stuff4bd's review against another edition

I <3 Harry Potter - reread

cosma06's review

adventurous dark funny lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

uncannycanuck's review against another edition

If I read a whole novel out loud, it counts toward my yearly reading goal.

lesbianfroglover's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

I like the book. I think it's my least favourite in the series but it's still a good book.

alilgabs's review against another edition

I love this book! I sometimes play Harry Potter.I love how Harry fears voldemort but he fights him.

biteintobooks's review against another edition

It's great to be back in the Harry Potter world! This book is exactly what you want after reading the first book. More mystery, more danger, more friendship and more Hogwarts!

This review was first posted on BiteIntoBooks Blog

Pros
Normal day life: What's strong about the Harry Potter books if the fact that J.K. Rowling doesn't skip the "normal day life". It would be so easy for her to just skip those things and move on to all the mystery and plot twists. But she doesn't, and that's what makes the Harry Potter world so amazing! You go to classes with Harry and learn more about the lessons at Hogwarts, as well as the students.
More mystery and action: A new year, new mysteries and more action! A lot of strange and awful things are happening at Hogwarts and together with Harry, Ron and Hermione you try to figure out what is going on.
Great new characters: Another great aspect in the Harry Potter series is the fact that you don't stick to the same characters the whole series long. Of course are there characters that are in all the books. But the great thing is that you get to know new characters each book as well. For me it was great to learn more about Lucius Malfoy but I also found Gilderoy Lockhart so entertaining!

Cons
You kiddin' right?

Once you've been sucked into the Harry Potter world, it's always great to return! I'm having so much fun reading the books again. I've read the whole series a LONG LONG time ago and I love to be back!