jediswiftie96's review against another edition

2.5 Stars ⭐️
As is the case with any SW short story anthology, it’s always a bit of a hit or miss situation. With this Clone Wars anthology it even more so depends on which characters you’re drawn to etc.
The biggest let-down is the fact that most of the stories merely happen to retell what happens in a specific episode of the series, rather than adding anything to it.
That being said, I did enjoy a few of the stories (mostly the ones I expected to enjoy) and I do think that with the lovely illustrations and the cohesive, clear writing of the stories it’s a wonderful book for young readers/young fans of the show.

ksander's review against another edition

In “Star Wars: The Clone Wars¬¬—Stories of Light and Dark,” eleven talented authors combine to deliver a fitting tribute to a much beloved (and much binged) element of the Star Wars franchise. While there are no new stories here—each chapter closely follows an episode or an arc from the television series—the authors take advantage of the short-story anthology format to present new and interesting perspectives on what we’ve already seen. While I wouldn't have minded some new adventures sprinkled in (like we got from the first "From a Certain Point of View"), what we do get is a fresh look inside the heads of some of the series’ most beloved characters, highlighting their motivations, their fears, and personalities in a way that’s both suitable for younger readers and rewarding for older fans. A must read for fans of the show.

_tguthrie's review against another edition

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Stories of Light and Dark is a fun take on some of our favorite stories from the beloved television series The Clone Wars. As a die-hard fan, I was itching to spend more time with characters like Captain Rex, Ahsoka, Padme, Maul, and Hondo Ohnaka, and I was not disappointed. Even if I am not in the target audience, I had a wholly enjoyable time and immediately queued up my rewatch on Disney+.

This book will undoubtedly draw comparisons to the Star Wars: From A Certain Point of View anthology book. While, yes, they are both anthologies, Stories of Light and Dark is written with a younger reader in mind. FACPOV sets out to give us fresh-takes on classic scenes from background or minor characters and is catered to a general audience. Stories of Light and Dark is written to service the younglings who are coming of age and ready to experience the series for the first time or with fresh eyes.

While the advanced copy did not come with the eleventh story included, I enjoyed different aspects of the ten I had the privilege of reading. "Hostage Crisis" by Preeti Chhibber, "The Lost Nightsister" by Zoraida Cordova, "Dark Vengeance" by Rebecca Roanhorse, and "Almost a Jedi" by Sarah Beth Durst are among my favorites. The best novelizations allow you to live inside the mind of the characters in a way that enhances what you see on screen. This collection of stories does just that. Readers will get to experience a new sense of the depth of emotions our characters feel, and they'll stick with you long after you've finished reading.

As I mentioned above, I am not this book's target audience. Having grown up on The Clone Wars, I found myself wanting to return to the series over reading particular sections of the book. While some may view this as a negative, I think it is a testament to the authors and stories selected that I wanted to relive the arcs in their original form. Easily accessible and wholly entertaining, this is a perfect bridge between the padawan and the Master readers out there. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

dandelionbritt's review against another edition

I started this not realizing that it’s almost all stories from the actual series. Most of them you’d be better off just watching, but a handful of them offer some interesting internal monologue that you don’t get from the tv series. This is made especially compelling by some great audiobook performances, including the incomparable Sam Witwer. The absolute best story, however, is the last one and only original one in the book. That one alone makes this a worthy read for Star Wars fans.

sarinagrace's review against another edition

Are you that kind of person that wants to know more about a story, specifically the character and their thoughts? I am witch is one of the reason why I pre-ordered this book, the other is because I love The Clone Wars - who doesn’t?

Stories of Light and Dark give 11 stories we have all seen in animation, but from a characters point of view where he read their thoughts on what is taking place.

The characters included are: Yoda, Dooku, Anakin, Padmé, Rex, Cad Bane, Ventress, Maul, Katooni, Obi-Wan and Mother Talzin. All were fun to read, but my favourite one is Maul’s, I love to know what he is thinking and his thoughts on things.

Overall I give this book 10/10. Stories fun to read with a surprising one from Mother Talzin.

connorjdaley's review against another edition

This is rather unfortunate, it just did nothing for me whatsoever.

Whereas I had praised Disney Press prior on their other short story collections having beautiful art and deeply saturated title cards (that didn't seep through to the other page!) this release fell short on both of those aspects. The art is just digital re-rendering of Clone Wars art that has some water color-esque swirls slapped behind it and the title cards are in blue (one of the others was straight black!) and it shows through on the pages... it was disappointing.

Now maybe this is on me for not researching enough prior to purchasing, but the fact that these were just rehashed Clone Wars episodes given in the POV of just one character (in an almost From a Certain Point of View styling) really didn't add anything to them for me at all. I get that this is graded as a young reader collection, but what could be a better introduction to The Clone Wars than just WATCHING it?

I loved the show and the stories that came out of it. This could have been so much better if it was just new stories.

dani_notacrocodile's review

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

The only good thing about this book is the illustration and the last short story, the only original one. None of the short stories added anything to any of the episodes.

clairesneverland's review against another edition

I am so immensely enjoying the Star Wars novels in audio form. The narrations are always so amazing! And this got me back into my Star Wars mood. Time to start trekking my way through the Star Wars canon novels.

jlsigman's review against another edition

A bit uneven, a couple of weird episode choices, but overall not bad.

destiel74's review

adventurous inspiring tense medium-paced

This book gave me a great nostalgia trip. I enjoyed seeing the interpretation of certain episodes of the Clones Wars through different character's eyes. My favorite was Obi Wan's Shadow.