The Unmaking of June Farrow by Adrienne Young

temis098's review

3,5 ⭐️

June Farrow is a 34-year-old woman who has decided she will never give love a chance and will never have a child. She knows that if she does, she will have a daughter who will bear the same curse as June and every woman in the Farrow family does. For every Farrow woman, the curse starts and progresses differently, but in the end, they will all succumb to it. One day after June's grandmother dies because of the curse, June receives a letter from her, posted right before her death. In the letter, there is only a photograph that will mark the start of June, finally facing the curse.

I was so hyped for this book, and it started so promising. The beginning of the story, after June gets the photo, is so intriguing, and I was super curious about how it would progress. But then, in 1951, nobody would tell June the whole truth, and it got a little annoying. I feel like the story relies very heavily on the fact that no one tells June the truth, and I don't think that's a strong feature (or actually, people not telling June the truth is the story, but it doesn't make sense as they would've helped her by just telling the truth from the beginning!). I also feel that the whole Mason plot had no point and was only used to introduce/create the big dilemma. The dilemma was not really a dilemma, since you can immediately guess what/who June will choose. Maybe, I would've liked the book more if that whole side of the story with Mason was scrapped and if the book only focused on the people in 1951.

The last 50 pages or so are the reason I still give this book a good rating, as they were beautifully written, and I love Margaret and the love between June and Margaret!

enoughread's review against another edition

mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

dibbella28's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

shaunatiffany's review

One of the best books I’ve read in awhile. I absolutely loved it.

mandasg's review against another edition

emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced

hannahisms's review

i’ll be thinking about this book for a very long time

shannyq's review

I like that book but did not LOVE it. There were some longer chapters, that could have been cut a little bit and I skipped over some parts. I think that I personally don’t need as many details, and like faster paced book. But, It was well written and the plot was great. I would probably read it again.

kellyodell's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

bookish_bat's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

cmankus's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious relaxing sad medium-paced